Epilogue - The Revenge

Epilogue – The Revenge.

3rd Oct 3:43 PM [Three Years Later]

“Clear” a voice said as the group moved forward, “No sign of them.”

“Stay alert” another muttered, “they’re out there somewhere.”

‘This is your final chance’ a female voice spoke in their heads, ‘Leave him now or perish with him. You have no idea the crimes he has committed, he will die today.’

“Come and get him!” the leader yelled across the deserted street, any room in any of the skyscrapers that towered on every side could potentially hide them. This was supposed to have been an easy job, move the client from A to B. It had turned out to be anything but, almost immediately they had come under attack by two armoured soldiers, completely invisible. Seven were already dead, three were incapacitated; they had been left behind. The remaining twelve were tired, intimidated and completely unaware as to exactly what they were going up against.       

Still his team drew prestige from their loyalty; and while they were mercenaries they never sold out a client, no matter the odds against them. One of his men walked out of an alleyway in front of them, jogging forward to re-join the unit. Strange though, he could have sworn this one had been killed not five minutes ago.

As the gunman reached them he quickly disposed of three other men with his rifle before dropping it, his clothes shimmered and turned into smooth plated armour and his fingers sprang out into long metallic claws. By the time they had processed the incredible sight three more were dead. Six remained, plus the client. They had to move fast.

All trained their weapons on the monster that had invaded their midst; letting loose as he leapt higher than any man could and broke through a nearby low window. The second did not bother with a disguise; she simply walked out into the middle of the street calmly and began strolling toward the mercenaries. As they raised their weapons something stopped them, every single remaining man found themselves suddenly incapable of pulling their triggers. They remained rooted to the spot as she strode in between them, unable to so much as move a muscle.

‘Benjamin Day’ the voice invaded their heads again, ‘Where is he?’

His eyes flickered across the remaining men, the client had been right there not long ago. The bastard had run and left them to deal with these… things.

‘Yeah, he has a tendency to do that’ the voice in his head said again ‘Did it in London last January as well.’

“Don’t bother, Serena” the big one with the claws called as he rounded the corner with a bundle over his shoulder, “Found him.”

The young woman turned to her friend, looking grimly at the heap he threw onto the ground. ‘We’ve been looking for you for a while Benjamin’ her voice echoed in all of their heads, ‘You’re the last one actually.’  

“Th- the last?” the old man whimpered, “All of the others are gone?”

‘Yes. The entire board of the B.N.R.D.’

“How much?” he pleaded, “I’ll pay you whatever you want!”

Both of the armoured figures looked down at him in disgust, “We don’t want your money.”

“Then why are you doing this?” he demanded, “Why?!?”

‘We owe an old friend a favour’ she said simply, ‘You did something to him a long time ago, do you remember?’

His face went pale, after the Megiddo incident nobody had heard from the Archaean known as Constantine, he and all others had been presumed dead. Now it all made sense, the disappearances. Another voice spoke behind him, a young man by the sound of it. He had hoped never to hear this voice again.

“Hello Benjamin” it said. A strange metallic click followed by a low humming made him shudder, a faint orange light was cast over the surrounding concrete “I told you I would find you all.”

End of Part 1 : The Kinetic