Proud of myself, I nodded and held out my hand to her.

“Shall we, my lady?”

It was like nothing had changed. It was like she’d never accidently found me in bed with Lucy. It was like we hadn’t had a fight. It was like we were whatever we had been before – husband and wife. I’d spent my life dreading commitment, dreading having to marry some girl who I was sure I was incapable of loving, dreading having to spend the rest of my life with her… but as I gazed into Ella’s green eyes, I realized she’d changed everything.

Ella took my hand and electricity buzzed through our fingertips.

“Of course,” she said, smiling. “My Lord.”

***

Ͼ Ella Castillo Ͽ

I stared out of the carriage window for a few moments, just indulging in the feelings tingling against my skin. The soft moon was one, the huge round orb hanging in the night sky that cast a gentle light onto the surrounded. The second was the warmth of the blanket Ash and I were currently sharing (I wondering if Ash had quickly made a call while I was in the bathroom, and asked them to include something to keep me warm. It wouldn’t surprise me. Ash thought of everything). Or rather, Ash’s warmth. And the third was the taste of champagne against my lips. It electrified my whole body, making me feel alive.

“So how is it?” he said, over the gentle clip-clop of the horse’s hooves. We moved through the carefully maintained path slowly, but I was in no hurry. This was one of the best, most romantic moments of my life and I intended to savor it… no matter Ash’s true intentions.

I turned back to Ash. He was smiling. Ash looked so perfect under the moonlight it was almost criminal. His skin shone, the red lips of his especially dark and even his hair, though messy and untamed, looked good. Not for the first time, I wondered why Ash seemed to like me. He was funny, rich and damn handsome. So why was he doing all of…this…for me? His face blurred a little and I blinked, suddenly feeling dizzy.

His grin slid off his face when he noticed the tears shining in my eyes.

“Hey,” he said, sounding concerned. He leaned in to brush away the drops of liquid. “Hey, Ella, what’s wrong?”

I didn’t reply and just stared at Ash’s face. I cried a lot lately. I used to think of myself as a strong, independent woman who could take on the world. It was only recently that I realized how truly weak I was. I depended on Ash. No, it as more than that. I needed him.

When I couldn’t look at him face any more, I just looked down.

“I don’t know,” I mumbled through cracked lips. “I just…”

Ash seemed to understand. Slowly, gently, he pulled me into his arms and I just lay, my head on his chest, listening to his rapid heartbeat. He was so warm. Almost unconsciously, I held my fingers over his heart. Was that me doing that to him? How? I had no idea what I was doing. I wanted to know, so badly. After all, it was only fair since he seemed to know what he was doing to me.

“Do you want me to sing for you?” Ash said, his deep voice making his chest rumble against my cheek.

I smiled. “No.”

“Oh.”

“Don’t take it personally,” I laughed. “I just don’t want to hear you sing.”

“I’m an excellent singer, actually.”

“Is that what your Mommy says?” I teased.

Ash froze, his whole body tensing up beneath mine. Even though my mind was woozy and I couldn’t think straight (a side-effect of the alcohol, perhaps?), I could tell I’d struck a nerve. I looked up, at his face and saw him wear an expression I’d never seen him wear before. It was a mix of sad and hopelessness.

That face made me want to hold him and never let go.

“I’m sorry,” I muttered, under my breath. I squeezed his chest clumsily and rested my head on Ash’s shoulder again. “I shouldn’t have said that.”

“It’s not your fault,” he sighed. “I should be less touchy about the subject.” He glanced down at me and frowned. “Hey, Ella, are you okay?”

“I’m fine,” I laughed. It sounded weird, even to me. Then I frowned too. “Wait, why are there two of you?”

“Ella, are you drunk?”

“Maybe.”

“But I only gave you a few glassfuls…” he said, looked panicked. “Ella, how do you feel?”

“Dizzy. Worn out. Tired. In fact, I think I’m going to go to sleep…” My eyelids were suddenly feeling very heavy and I let them droop again.

“Ella, I’m sorry for doing this to you,” Ash said quickly, as if he wanted to tell me everything before I blacked out. “I’m sorry the night hasn’t been the best, what with the temperature on the roof and for making you cry and for getting you drunk. I’m sorry I –”

I shut him up by pressing his lips to mine. His mouth was pleasantly warm against my lips and he tasted of champagne. He smelt like his cologne, the way he always smelt. Even with my numbed senses, I could feel our hearts beating against each other frantically, and the delicious feeling I always felt on the rare occasions we kissed. A moment later, I pulled away and glared at him.

“You talk too much,” I complained before I let myself succumb to the sleep.

***

ῼ Ash Castillo ῼ

Her head fell back onto my chest. I sat frozen, on the bench, my lips still throbbing from the gentle kiss. It suddenly occurred to me that Ella had never kissed me before. I’d kissed her, of course, several times before, whether it was because I was angry or simply because she looked so damn cute. Nevertheless, though this kiss was soft, a lot softer than any other of our kisses, it seemed different somehow. It meant something. It was Ella who wanted to kiss me this time and not the other way around. Just this fact had my heart racing.

I enjoyed the carriage ride for a few more minutes, enjoying the feel of Ella’s body pressed against mine, her flowery smell and the beautiful expression on her moonlit face, before telling the carriage driver to quickly get us back to the entrance. I’d had a whole event planned with fireworks and violins serenading us, but somehow that kiss was a hundred times better than any cheesy romantic thing I could have planned.

When we were at the entrance, the carriage driver opened the door for us and I thanked her. Scooping Ella’s body up with ease, I carried her back to the car. The driver opened the door and I got in, gently placing her into the seat. I got in as well and we were driving.

I watched Ella’s sleeping face. She looked so peaceful, so childlike I almost fell for her again. As I brushed a wavy tendril of hair away from her eyes, Ella gave a little groan that sounded a lot like, “Ash”.

I froze, staring at her intensely. Was that what she’d really just said? Had she just said my name? Was she dreaming about me?

I watched her carefully the whole ride, but she didn’t say anything again.

***

Author's Note: Short chapter today ;/

So I'm back! It's been so long since I updated this story I actually had to read it again to remember what I was writing about. But hopefully this is a satisfactory chapter :)

I've officially decided that Will is my favorite character. Not that I have anything against Ash, I just love evil geniuses. But as a couple with Ella... :/ maybe not? I don't know. Don't want to give away too much, when I'm still in the middle of the plot :) 

I'm finally getting a new phone for Christmas (YAY!) so I can be one of those sad antisocial losers constantly plastered to their phone, just like the rest of the world :) xxx

Anyways, I hope you guys have had a nice couple of months since I was away and I'm really glad to be back <3 xx

P.S. VOMMENT!!