Chapter 25 - Misconceptions

Start from the beginning

I walked out of the apartment with clenched fists as Kaylee continued to sputter insults at me, some in different languages. But I chose to ignore them as I knew there was no use in fighting with her, and I was tired as hell. When I got to my car, the lump in my throat had disappeared completely.

______________

Thalia's POV

I woke up with a heavy heart. My eyes were weary from all the crying last night. Harry had left with Kaylee, and he stayed with her for the night. I couldn't stand the pain. I didn't know why I was even comparing but Kaylee was by miles better than me in almost every aspect. Any guy would jump at the opportunity to be with her. It hurt to know that I was nothing next to her.

After taking a shower, I pulled open the closet doors. I eyed the clothes Harry had bought for me, wondering if I should wear the dark blue sweater that he said he liked on me. Was it because the neck hole kept slipping down my shoulder? He was really cheeky. I smiled to myself as I thought.

I brushed off the idea when I was reminded of what he'd done last night. Harry was troubled as a kid and the personal things he revealed to me made me understand why he did the things he did. But he had hurt me far too many times and no amount of sad childhood stories can mend my heart.

I changed into my own old clothes. I didn't want to wear anything Harry had gotten for me. I made my way down to the kitchen for breakfast but was brought to a halt in the living room when I saw Harry lazily sleeping on the couch. He had come back early and fallen asleep out of exhaustion after his romp with Kaylee, I figured. He hadn't even attempted to button up his shirt again and my chest ached at the sight of him.

I breathed out a deep sigh before continuing to the kitchen. Mrs Briffen had already set the table. Pancakes and egg toasts occupied the length. I propped myself down on the chair, picking up a fork and poking my pancake with it in frustration.

"Rough night?" The chubby maid asked, leaning on the table.

I nodded silently as I wasn't in the mood to speak.

"I heard it all." She continued. "But it isn't like what you think."

"What do you mean?" I inquired.

"Harry came home last night. He didn't sleep over at Kaylee's." She explained.

"Just because he came home doesn't mean they didn't do anything." I glanced back down at my pancake which didn't spark my appetite like it used to.

"I wouldn't know about that. But cheer up, doll. We'll think of something fun to do today. Maybe we'll do some work on a countdown calendar to count down the days till you're free to leave this horrid place." I appreciated her attempt to distract me from my despair but it wasn't working, although I couldn't help but let out a laugh.

After breakfast, I wanted to read a book in the living room but Harry was fast asleep there and the last thing I wanted right now was to be near him so I changed my mind and decided to read upstairs. As I searched for the book, Mrs Briffen flicked the switch on the vacuum cleaner and the machine blared.

I was taken by surprise when Harry didn't jerk one bit. He lay completely still, messy curls flopped over his forehead. His arm fell over and his knuckles touched the floor. The couch was a little too small to accommodate his body.

He was in such an unsightly position I had the sudden urge to send him to his bedroom. But I reminded myself of the pain he had caused me. The kiss we shared last night was the best ever, atleast to me.

I bolted up the stairs and hid myself in my room to finally finish The Time Keeper. I'd already forgotten where I'd left off and I probably wouldn't be able to focus on the story but I read it anyway. I needed some sort of distraction, whatever it was.

When I decided that I had no idea where the story was going anymore, I found myself being drawn to my closet. Within seconds, I'd opened it and retrieved the mini dress Harry had bought. When I asked him about it, he'd said that the dress wasn't for me, but for some reason he still told Mrs Briffen to put it in my closet.

I held the dress against my body and studied myself in the mirror. If I wore things like this, I might be able to give Kaylee a run for her money. Wait. What? This wasn't me.

But it wouldn't hurt to slip it on for a second, would it? I got out of my clothes and slid myself through the short tube dress. It hugged my body tight, highlighting slender curves I hadn't noticed I had. It kept bunching up my thighs no matter how hard I tried to tug it down to my knees. Frustrated, I let it take its place on its own.

I let my hair fall loose before turning infront of the mirror to examine myself. This was so unlike me. If I ever wore this with the slightest intention to win a guy over, I would never forgive myself. This was cheap and I could imagine the look of digust on my mother's face if she sees me in this. But I felt pretty. And every girl has the right to feel pretty every once in a while.

"Lia?" I froze up to a point where I almost stopped breathing. The door had been opened and Harry peered at me, his astonishment well projected by his features. His eyes had skimmed my entire body before I could act. He had taken in the shameful sight. A combined sense of embarrassment and excitement surged through me.