Chapter 11

I don’t want it to sound clichéd...but imagine the most perfect day at the zoo that you can? Add some terribly expensive food and annoyingly stressed parents with their spoilt kids...and that was our day.

I met him just outside the tube. He came running at me for a hug and if I hadn’t seen him coming and prepared myself I would’ve just ended up falling flat on my arse. After he finally stopped the hug I showed him my giraffe socks that I was wearing, and were currently poking out the top of my boots. Caspar grinned and began to hug my feet. The idiot.

As soon as we got into the zoo he grabbed my hand and, like he promised, took me straight to the penguins. We managed to push ourselves into the front to get the best view possible. I didn’t realise that he was still holding my hand. Okay I did. But shhh.

‘I never realised that penguins sound like really grumpy donkeys before. Did you?’ I said tilting my head.

Caspar just laughed. ‘Now you mention it. They sound like donkeys. You’ve ruined penguins for me’

I pouted and gave him a light shove.

And then we got to watch the funny little birds get fed! Two of them started to have a bit of a squabble and Caspar said that ‘they’re totally having a bitch slap fight. Look at them!’

‘You just called a penguin a bitch didn’t  you.’

‘Hey. That is one bitchy penguin’

We continued to watch as that same penguin shoved another one out of the way to get food.

‘Okay okay that one is a bitch.’

‘I told you. ‘ He grinned.

-

One of my personal favourite parts of the day was just sat on a bench people watching. Realising a man looked like an aggressive version of clare balding or that a girl looked like a punk justin bieber. It was just some good plain and mildly judgemental fun.

-

‘Eva I want a balloon.’

‘And here’s me thinking you were going to spoil me today.’

‘Evaaaa ballooooon.’

‘You realise you could just walk up and ask for one right?’

He then turned to me and did the most pathetic puppy face at me. But it worked.

‘Fine I’ll get you a fucking balloon. But you don’t get to pick which one.’

And that was how Caspar ended up with a dora the explorer balloon.

‘I wish I was a balloon. I’d like to be able to fly. Like a bird.’ He had such a vacant expression on his face. Eyes wide, mouth open. Just thinking about being a bird. Okay it was adorable.

‘If you were any bird in the world what one would you be?’ I decided to ask him

Without any hesitation Caspar replied ‘A flamingo’

‘Well you didn’t really have to think about that one did you?’ I laughed

‘Oh come on everyone loves a flamingo. I might even get a chance to decorate someone’s garden!

‘Cas you realise they’re plastic versions of...’

‘I want to be able to just stand on someone’s lawn and people watch. ‘