Chapter Forty-Three

The delicate fabric of the dress shimmered under the bright room's lights. My fingers traced the small sequin that sparkled in different emerald tones as they caught light. A strong hand pulled the elastic from my hair. Loose bangles fell softly on my shoulders. My shiny hair was sleek and with the vibrant emerald of the dress it looked even darker than it normally did.

"Isn't it too...provocative?" My eyebrows pulled together in concentration.

Hugh's signature snort sounded behind me. "Are you kidding me? You look hot!!" His grey eyes were wide and he placed his hands on my waist, "if I wasn't completely gay, I'd totally try to hit on you" He wriggled his eyebrows as he said it.

I laughed at his "seductive" face. "Seriously, Hugh...you can see through a large part of the dress..." I turned my eyes at the large mirror in front of me, "I'm sure I'm going to be the talk of the night anyway. There's no need to add more heat to the slutty rumors..." I trailed as I twirled around to get a better view of the back.

Ugh.

It fitted perfectly.

"If I lean you could totally see my boobs..." I'm not sure who I was trying to convince. Hugh or me.

He gave me a flat look as he deadpanned "Then don't lean."

I snorted in a very unlady like way, "easy for you to say!"

We were in one at the Valentino's store in Westfield London mall. Hugh had literally dragged me to the stylish mall to get an appropriate dress for tomorrow's ball. According to him, nothing was appropriate for the occasion...I had developed my eyes muscles at all the rolling I had been doing as he quite roughly dismantled my closet.

I had a lot of cleaning up to do...

Remembering that little fact I turned to him and glared at him as I pointed him with a finger, "You have to help me clean all the mess you made in my room."

"Only if you get the dress..." he blinked at me innocently.

I rolled my eyes for the fiftieth time on the day and turned to look at myself once again. I smoothed a hand down my dress and even I had to admit that the freaking fabric was extremely soft. It was a low cleavage dress with fake see through fabric (you weren't really naked underneath) with embroidered emerald sequins that ran from the bare shoulder to cover the chest. A small velvety ribbon hugged the waist and the rest of the dress grew darker as it fell naturally.

I had to give it to Hugh. It was a beautiful dress. Even though it was almost nude at the shoulders, the ombre effect was extremely pretty. It looked classy and elegant.

But- there had to be a freaking but...after all the rumors that I was going out with Mark and then Scott and the scandal that Sam's visit produced...I wasn't sure that this dress would be the one for the next day.

"It brings out your eyes" Hugh smiled at me as he slowly walked to stop right behind me. "And I would definitely wear the hair down" he produced an emerald brooch that matched the dress, "with this." His hands combed my hair and he placed it on my hair, lifting it up on only one side.

His grey eyes twinkled mischievously as I sighed defeated.

The whole ensemble was absolutely gorgeous. I just couldn't say no.

"We're going to have to get new shoes..." I grumbled as I noticed Hugh's smugly smirk on his face.

He winked at me, "I'll get on with it, girl."

I rolled my eyes as he turned away whistling happily. Laughing a little bit, I turned to look at the mirror for the last time.

Screw them. You look good, Emily.