Chapter 17

I just keep running as fast as I can until I'm so out of breath that I can't even breathe anymore. I find a deserted spot so that I'm alone and then I fall to the ground, my knees hitting hard against the grass and sticks. Pain shoots through my body but I just don't care right now, all I can think about is my whole messed up life and how my heart is breaking more and more each time I breathe. I lay down in a ball and curl up in my arms. I lay there crying and trembling for a good thirty minutes until I can calm down enough to call for help.

I finally get it together enough to  call Kelsey. I don't know who else to call right now. I don't want my parents to know and Stefan hates me.

She picks up the phone after two rings. " Hey sugar."

I cry into the phone barely able to catch my breath to talk." Kelsey, I need you so bad right now. Can you please just come get me? Please."

She barely gives me time to finish before talking." Oh no, what's going one, did someone hurt you? I'll kick some ass."

" It's Miles. He kinda of attacked me but I kicked him and ran as far as I could." I let out another small cry. " I look down at my throbbing knees. "Dang it."

I could hear her breathing heavy into the phone. " You have got to be kidding me. I swear I will hurt him."

I breathe into the phone and close my eyes."No, I just want to forget it. I'm just never going back."

"Well I'm leaving right now, I-I'm on my way." Then she hangs up.

A few seconds later the phone rings again. I answer it to hear Kelseys voice again. " Oh yeah I forgot to ask you where you are. Sorry I'm just really mad right now."

I let out a small laugh. " It's ok hun. I understand. I'm like 10 blocks behind the bookstore at that crappy park." I knew she would know which one I was talking about.

" I got it sugar. Don't move a muscle." She hangs up again so I throw my phone in my pocket.

I sit there and lookddown at my knees but they aren't quite as bad as I thought. Just a little cut up. I wonder what the hell Miles was thinking. I would've never thought he would do something like that to me, or to anyone. He has always been a really nice guy.  Now I'm screwed and without a stupid job.

* * *

Ten minutes later Kelsey jumps out of the car with a baseball bat in her hand. " Come on sugar, get in the car." She reaches her hand out to help me up.

" Kelsey, what the hell is the bat for?" I just look at her shaking my head. What is she thinking? This girl is crazy.

She starts hitting her hand with the bat. " I'm going to kick this guys ass. I used to think he was totally hot and I would've done him, but not now. No way." She shakes her head and walks back and forth. "Hell no."

Laughing at her for thinking of such crazy stuff at a time like this, I grab the bat from her. " Um, think about it. I'm not letting you get jail time for this. Just get me home please, I've had a rough day." I give her my best puppy dog eyes.

She lets out a deep breath and then walks to the car. " Fine, you're lucky you talked me out of this, but I'm calling Stefan to let him know."

She reaches for her phone but I slap it out of her hand. "No... please don't call him. He hates me right now. Just don't call him."

She looks at me while bending over to pick up her phone." Dang it woman, you make everything hard and I'm sure he cares about what happens to you."

"Yeah, I don't know." I turn my head to the window letting the tears slowly fall.

* * *

We get home and all I want to do is shower and then sleep and try to forget everything. So I turn on a nice hot shower and strip off my clothes. I just let the water hit me while I let myself cry for all the pain. My heart has never hurt so much and I don't know if things will get better. I really love Stefan and I just want so bad to take back what I did to him, but I can never do that. I have never felt like this about anyone and hurting him is worst than hurting myself.

I get dressed and lay down in my bed, hoping I can just fall asleep and wake up to find out this is all just a dream.

When I hear a light knock on my door. My heart starts beating faster in hopes that it's Stefan. "Come in." I look up to see Kelsey poking her head in.

" Hey sugar. You feeling any better, is there anything I can do for you?" She sits down next to me rubbing my leg.

" Thanks Kelsey, but I'm fine right now and you've already done enough by picking me up." I reach over and give her a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

" If you say so honey, just let me know." she get's up and walks to the door. " Get some rest sugar."

I roll over and close my eyes. " Well.. I'm sure going to try. See you later."

I finally start falling into a deep sleep when all of a sudden I feel someone sit down next to me and and brush the hair out of my face.

" Kendra."

I know the voice right away and my heart skips a few beats. I open my eyes. " Stefan."