Prologue

A powerful sorceress with blood laced in gold sevenfold shall determine the fate of the world.

The ancient man's eyes scanned the scroll again. Fawn's destiny had been appointed at her birth, but the girl's mother had never spoken to her about it. He had done his best to conceal her identity from the Devil, but now the girl's powers had emerged, they formed a beacon which would attract the attention not only of Lucifer, but also of every other Supernatural in the world. Her existence would not remain a mystery from anyone, friend or foe, much longer.

Outside, metal clattered to the white marble floor, disrupting the silence. He's early, the man mused.

He waved a hand over the parchment, magically rolling it up. He snapped his fingers and the scroll disappeared in a puff of smoke, returning to its secret hiding place. Only when it was gone did he signal the guards to exit. Dusting off the lapels of his white suit, he stood and used his ivory cane for support as he walked up the marble stairs to his golden throne.

The doors burst open and a draft strong enough to pick any mortal off the ground howled through the hall. A young man strode in with his head held high. Insolence surrounded him like an ornate cloak. He had raven hair, eyes to match, and wore an immaculate black ensemble of a leather jacket, black t-shirt, and black jeans. His presence consumed light like a walking black hole. His black combat boots pounded the marble floor. It was the only sound in the hall and was loud enough to wake the dead.

The elder nodded in salutation. "Hello, Lucifer."

"Hello, Father," the fallen angel spat, his lips pursing like he had tasted something rancid. "Or should I call you by your official name?"

God rose and came to a halt mere inches away from the visitor, his cane forgotten at his throne. He stood tall, not in a menacing way, but his posture commanded respect. Even Lucifer had enough sense to retreat a few steps.

"I see you redecorated my old quarters," Lucifer said. "I don't like it. You should definitely fire your interior designer." He paused. "How long did you wait after banishing me before you erased any trace of my presence here? A month? A year? A decade? A century? Oh, wait. You started immediately and turned my fellow brothers against me by making me 'Angelic Enemy Number One.' Do you know what it's like being hunted by everyone you once called family?"

"Do not act as though you were innocent. Your rebellion required swift disciplinary action. You left me no choice." The walls seemed to waver as his deep voice rumbled through the hall. "I know why you're here and the answer is no."

Lucifer placed his hand over his heart, "How you judge me, Father. I am not going to demand anything. I'm not the spoiled youth I used to be. I swear I've changed."

"You're just as impertinent now as you were back then."

Lucifer straightened his spine. "Then I'll get right to business. Fawn Belgrave is the one, is she not?"

Unfortunately, the intensity of Fawn's powers had begun to shred the protective veil the month before.

"I hope she's careful." God could see the corrupt amusement lurking in his son's gaze. "All that power can be very tempting for someone as green as her. I'm sure you remember the last time a seventh generation witch got drunk on power..."

Morgan le Fay had destroyed Camelot. God had then rendered sixth generation witches infertile, but he knew the Chosen One would still be born. To his chagrin, there were things even he could not control.

"Do not trifle with me. Or do I need to remind you of the reason you were cast out in the first place?"

Lucifer's anger boiled beneath his calm veneer, but he kept his voice strong. "Let's make a bet. If Fawn abuses her power or sins as she learns magic, she becomes mine to exploit."

God frowned. He had declared it a sin to make deals with his son. There was now the potential for Fawn to be led astray, and he knew his son would stop at nothing to harness her power for evil. He would yield to this bargain to protect the world.

He could see Lucifer was growing impatient. The fallen angel's gaze roamed the grand hall, paying particular attention to the white marble throne in the center.

Lucifer's coal eyes ignited into smoldering red embers, finally settling into a fiery red. "I do believe we're talking about the fate of the world here. Do we have a deal?"

"If she remains pure, she will stay in my heavenly domain and you can never meddle in her affairs again."

"Agreed, but for the duration, I can send any temptations to persuade her and—so can you," Lucifer begrudgingly added. "We can speak to our own pawn but under no circumstances are we allowed access to the other's champion."

"If you are considering using the boy," God interrupted, "I will add that if he becomes pure, in any way, he will be freed from his contract with you." If he could save Caleb in this bargain, stripping Lucifer of his right-hand man, not only would he have redeemed one soul, but also saved countless others from his son's manipulations. "I will give you time to think this over. Know what you are getting into, my son."

Lucifer stiffened at the term of endearment and met his father with an expression of determination: "Deal."

They shook hands. A bolt of power passed between the two divine giants, strong enough to incinerate any lesser being, either angel, demon, or other monster. Thunder and lightning raged outside and the Earth was plunged into darkness for twenty-four hours.