Chapter One - Joel

Start from the beginning

Julian had the same exact one.

We had gotten it on our thirteenth birthdays. I had hidden it in the drawer, but I couldn’t remember why now.

I shut my suitcase, and heaved it onto the floor. A satisfied smile tugging at the corner of my lips. I was finally finished!

“Ready to go?” He asked, always the one in charge.

“Yes! I want to go home already! It feels as if it’s been forever!” He nodded his head seriously. “I really miss Brooklyn. It was so much more…I don’t know…it’s much easier for me to cope there. I had friends and stuff, here it’s just…boring. All learning, and some play. Which, I guess isn’t so bad. It’s awesome that we get to be in the same room though. I don’t know how we managed that. Since technically, siblings are never put in the same room.”

“I think dad paid them off.” He muttered in a monotone, sounding slightly annoyed.

“That’s a good thing, no? At least we were together…” His eyes blazed with something akin to anger, and I drew back, shocked. He blinked, and then his eyes were normal again.

“Sorry,” he said, his voice gentle. “I didn’t mean to snap.”

I nodded hesitantly back at him, and we walked together out the door, and outside, where a taxi would hopefully be waiting for us.

Thankfully, the taxi was there, and we piled into it, shivering slightly. The ride to the airport was uneventful. We both remained quiet, even throughout most of the trip on the airplane.

When we landed in JFK, I could barely contain my excitement. I couldn’t sleep on the plane, and I was officially hyper and insane.

Julian, was more calm, but I was certain if he hadn’t slept, he’d be just as crazy as I was.

He called a taxi as I waited, watching the suitcases fall down the ramp and onto the luggage merry go round. He came back, his phone in hand, and stood next to me, watching as the suitcase’s fell.

“Taxi should be here shortly, let’s hope this doesn’t take too long.” He glanced at his watch, and began tapping his foot impatiently.

“What’s your rush?” I asked him, getting slightly peeved at all his strange actions for the past few minutes. Was there someone waiting for him at home that I didn’t know about? A secret girlfriend perhaps?

“Nothing, Joel…just…nervous about seeing the folks again.”

That made sense I guess.

As soon as our suitcases appeared, Julian snatched them, and then we were off.

The familiar streets lifted my spirits immensely, and I was nearly bouncing in my seat by the time we reached Kings Plaza. The driver drove on, and we finally reached Ralph Avenue. He dropped us off, and I ran like the wind into the house, not even bothering to wait for Julian, who was carrying our luggage.

Oops.

My arms wrapped around my mom who opened the door for me, and I hugged her tightly, murmuring words of love, as she stroked my hair.

“Welcome home, Joel, my dear son.” She whispered to me.

I kissed her cheek, and then ran to my bedroom. My dad wasn’t the type to be mushy, so I didn’t bother finding him.

It was early in the morning, so, I jumped on my bed, instead of laying in it. I was already hyper, what more could some more craziness cause, anyway?

I jumped, like I was five, and as soon as Julian came into the room, suitcases in hand, I tackled him.

“Let’s go to Dunkin Donuts! I’m hungry!”