Chapter 44 - Kidnapped

∞ᴪ∞

Chapter 44 – Kidnapped

“Wake up.” A gruff male voice said.

“Hmm...” I groaned as I felt a few taps on my cheek. My eyes were so heavy it took some effort to open them only to droop again. My breathing was heavy and my head hurt like I was dumped in a food blender then hit on the head repeatedly with a bludgeon by an angry teen from hell. I tried to remember what happened. Everything was a blur. All I could recall was getting in the car with Joe—Leon’s bodyguard—who wasn’t as good as I had thought.

“Oi, Marquis! I think you’ve used too much of that sedating stuff on her.” Another man said. My glasses hung lopsidedly on my face so I couldn’t see clearly. From what I could make out, he had a somewhat wiry built, black hair plastered on his skull and a wide toothy grin. His skin was so white I could almost see the greenish veins on the back of his hand as he reached for me. “She won’t wake, dang it.”

I pretended to remain unconscious. From the chink of my eyes I could hardly make out where I am. The man called Marquis laid back on a swivelling chair and crossed his burly arms with a satisfied sneer. From what I could remember, he was the one who shoved chloroform on my face.

He’s goin’ to be really pleased.” Marquis mumbled to himself. He adjusted the spectacles on the bridge of his nose and eyed at me. “Relax, Romuald. Why don’t you get us something to eat while we wait for the girl to wake up?” He called to the pale lanky guy.

“I’m not sure about this Marquis.” Romuald muttered nervously. “He said to keep a constant eye on the girl, not kidnap her.”

With an irritated grunt, Marquis twirled a bunch of keys on his finger. “You worry too much. Just think about it. We could keep a constant eye on the girl without even going out.”

“You’ve got a point.” Romuald rustled his slick black hair with a stupid grin. “But won’t we get arrested? Mate, this is kidnapping! Remember what happened with Larkin.”

“Oh, blabbity blah! Larkin wasn’t even arrested. They got him tied up somewhere and we could use this girl in exchange for him.”

Without another argument, Romuald got out of the room with a freakish toothy grin mumbling something about how brilliant Marquis’ plan was.

The room looked like a hotel suite with dark wooden furniture, black carpeted floor and dark granite walls. The huge bookcases and massive reading tables hinted me that we were in a study room of some sort. It was dim so I could barely see my captors. The embroidered scarlet tapestries were drawn and I was thankful that the incandescent lamp flickered every few minutes. That way, I could peek through my lashes every now and then without being noticed. I tried to move just to find out that my hands were tied on my back. Still motionless, I thought of a plan.

Just imagining that these men were acquainted with Larkin Frost made my stomach do a flip. A shudder ran down my spine. I shut my eyes tightly trying not to remember my encounter with Larkin Frost—who almost killed and about raped me (I couldn’t decide which would be worse). Romuald and Marquis might just be as unhinged as Larkin.

After several minutes, Romuald came back with a bag full of packaged goods. They cheered and congratulated each other as I heard bottles clinking. The air smelled suspiciously of booze and spicy nachos.

I refrained from gagging at the smell of beer, vile-man breath and the musty smell of the sofa where I was dumped onto. It was hard to keep up how many hours had passed. With the chloroform’s after effects still messing with my head, all I knew was that the two creeps were just about to pass out from drinking too much.