Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

The mattress was lusciously soft beneath me. My head rested on a plush, feather pillow. I was completely and utterly comfortable.  Well, I was until a heavy, warm arm slung around my waist.

 I screamed, bolting upright.

Where was I?

The room was dark. Only a faint light came from an alarm clock that read 3:46.

“What’s wrong?” A deep, urgent voice called from beside me.

Eyes wide, I turned to my side. There, laying next to me shirtless, was Chance Burke.

I screamed again.

“What is it?” This time, he really sounded alarmed.

Lightning fast, he gathered me into his arms and pulled me to his bare chest. Anxiously, his fingers ran through my hair.

“Are you hurt? Did you have a nightmare? Tell me what’s wrong.”

“Where am I?” I whispered, my voice weak.

“My apartment.”

My heart sank. I became very conscious of the fact that I was not wearing the same clothes I’d been in earlier.

Instead, I was in a black t-shirt that I assumed was Chance’s judging by the scent of his cologne that lingered on the fabric. The only other item I wore were my black panties. I pulled the sheets around me tighter.

“Will you tell me what’s wrong?” Chance demanded. He reached over and flicked a lamp on. Immediately, harsh light flooded my eyes.

“Why am I here? What happened?”

Suddenly, a horrifying thought plagued me.

“Did we-?” I couldn’t finish the sentence.

Chance, knowing what I was thinking, relaxed and let out a low chuckle.

“If you’re asking if we had sex, then no. You would remember a night with me.”

“Then why did you bring me here?” I questioned further.

“You fell asleep. Instead of going through the hassle of dropping you off at your apartment, I simply brought you here. Besides, my bed gets lonely. I haven’t had any sleepovers lately…” He trailed.

My nose wrinkled in disgust. Something told me that ‘sleepovers’ with Chance Burke didn’t just consist of pillow fights and manicures.