Chapter Eight: Loyalty and Night Plans

Start from the beginning

                “I know the feeling. Sometimes I feel annoyed with my friends too. They seem to have drama twenty-four seven.”

                Potter nods. “Evans, why are you talking to me? You’ve been avoiding me since Tuesday night.”

                I sigh and sit down next to him on the couch. “I’m sorry. I was afraid…”

                “That I’d tell everyone that I saw you crying.” Potter finishes my sentence sadly. His hazel eyes look sad. He doesn’t even look me in the eyes.

                “I’m sorry that was a stupid thought-”

                “No, it was reasonable. Two years ago, I would have told everyone. Hell, maybe even last year I would have. I was a prat.”

                “I won’t deny that, but why would you not do it this year?”

                Potter looks at me for a moment. “It’s a lot of things, Evans.” He gives me a tiny smile and gets up. “I won’t tell anyone.”

                “Thank you. I hope you work out things with Sirius.” I say honestly.

                He shakes his head slightly. “There won’t be a good ending to what’s going on with him. I’ll be his friend no matter what though.”

                I watch Potter disappear into his room. I never realized how close those two truly are. Potter’s willing to be his friend even if he doesn’t agree with what Sirius is doing. That takes a lot. I don’t know if I’m strong enough to do that with my friends. Potter’s loyal. That’s something I’ll always admire in someone, the strength to stay with someone even if you don’t agree with what they’re doing. I wish Petunia could have done that for me. Instead, she turned her back on me.

                I never used to think that it hurt me, but now I realize how much I wished she was there for me. I watch Marlene with her older sister and they tell each other everything. I really could have used her advice for so many things. Honestly, I’ve wanted my sister’s love and acceptance for years now.

                “Evans thanks for telling me the truth.” Potter says from the doorway of his room.

                “You deserved to know why I was avoiding you.” I say quietly.

                Quietly, I sit down and open my books. The library is dead silent. I flip through the book without paying attention. I studied all of this all summer.

                “Lils, wanna have a girls’ night tonight? We could use your common room.” Alice asks.

                I jump. “Don’t sneak up on me!” I exclaim. “I’d love to, but we can’t use my common room. Potter lives there too.” I sigh.

                “No problem. I heard that he was planning to help the guys with a prank.” Alice says with a bright smile. “I’ll just ask him if it’s okay.”

                “Alright.” I agree. “I can’t wait.”

                Without hesitation, Alice grabs my arm and starts pulling me out of the library. “Come on!”

                “Alice! I need to grab my books,” I protest.

                She rolls her eyes, “you’ve got one minute.”

                I shake my head at my petit friend’s dramatic attitude. Alice is definitely a character. She has spikey short hair and the wickedest grin ever. I scramble to pick up my books, knowing that Alice will come get me if I don’t hurry.

                “Where is he anyways?” I ask Alice as she leads me through the third corridor.

                “Gryffindor Tower.” Alice rolls her eyes at me.

                “Right, but I think you’re lost. We passed the Grand Staircase almost ten minutes ago!” I argue.

                “I’m trying a secret passageway!” Alice declares.

                “This isn’t going to be like the vanishing cabinet adventure right?” I ask nervously.

                “No, that was an accident. Besides, nothing bad happened. We never got in trouble over it.”

                “Yeah, but it was painful and rather difficult to get out of.” I point out.

                Alice stops and taps a random brick. Suddenly, a doorway appears. I stare at it for a moment. “Did the Marauders tell you about this one?”

                She nods and says, “of course. They know all of the secret passageways through Hogwarts.”

                I shake my head. “I doubt that. Hogwarts is weird place. You never know. Besides, one of the secret passageways that they found, I found first.”

                Alice snickers. “Yeah, only cuz Potter shoved you into it.”

                “Shut up!”

                Alice slips into the doorway and starts walking. “I think I’ve found a staircase, but I can’t see.”

                I groan. “You’re a witch, right? Lumos!” The tip of my wand lights up. “I’m muggleborn,” I say lightly.

                “Yup, and I’m the dumb pureblood.” Alice agrees with a smile.

                I follow Alice up the stairs. It seems like we’re walking up through a couple floors. Suddenly the stairs stop and we reach a dead end. Quickly, I tap a brick and the doorway opens. I slide out of the narrow opening. “Wow, we’re on the seventh floor.”

                Alice laughs. “See! I told you it’d work.”

                “Come on, let’s go find Potter, so we can have so fun."