Chapter 26: The Capital

Tia missed Mooncliffe. She missed how her boots clipped on the stone-brick floor. She missed the cliff-side sea air and gorgeous wind sounds. She missed the long, windy stone steps leading down to the harbour and the marketplace, busy but not too busy to make one feel rushed or uneasy. She missed the beautiful skies, which were often clear with small tufts of white clouds. She missed the glittering blue ocean stretching as far as the eyes could see.

Most of all, she missed the simple life that came with Mooncliffe back when she lived there.

That was back when life was straight forward; back then she was ignorant of the implications of slavery. Despite hearsay, she had never wondered where they came from, what kind of lives they lead and what kind of ending lay in store for them. She had known nothing about the Dernexan-Gwentian war, or the bloody role Windcasters played. She had no goal in life back in Mooncliffe except to study hard for her Level four exams and to make Mommu do her portion of house tasks. Her highlight of the month was when she could sneak away when the Master would shut himself in his study for the whole day, scribing monthly reports for the king. It was the one day when she could wear the Master's cloak and pretend she was a proper Windcaster.

But now? She wasn't sure she wanted to be a Windcaster anymore.

She wasn't even sure she wanted to be in Dernexes anymore. It all seemed too dark and it hurt her brain to think what other lies she may be living.

It was with a heavy heart she rode into the outer parts of Capital with her companions. The thoughts were relentless and made her wary of everything going on around her. What if every word anyone said had a hidden meaning? What if they were also in the bloodshed in the last Great War? What if the people who were smiling and gentle to her were the same people who beat slaves to their death?

She couldn't say anything to Master Anu. She couldn't even divulge her worries to Mommu, her most trusted confidante who had listened to all of her ramblings and silly worries in the past. It was too much.

****

Where Kiramone had appeared flashy and almost desperately glamorous, Hume heated and efficient and Mooncliffe homely and welcoming, Capital had a powerful essence oozing through its pores. The impressive overwhelming feeling of the central city of Dernexes made Tia feel very small and insignificant. This was a place for the greatest minds of the country and she did not belong there.

The ground had turned to sandstone as they travelled further and further away from Hume. Dust blew around the carriers' hooves and the air was dry. The sun had temporarily hidden behind the clouds but the temperature was not much lower than central Hume.

Guards stood outside tall, white-bricked walls that ran all the way around the settlement. It was thick and weathered as though it had withstood many a war. This was the famous wall of Capital, allegedly nigh impenetrable. Sharp spears glistened in the hands of the stationed men. Their grips tightened as the riders approached, although the nearest ones relaxed at the sight of the pale blue Windcaster cloak around Master Anu's shoulders.

"Identify yourself!" barked the nearest one, taking a confident step forward. Master Anu nodded once in acknowledgement, drawing back his hood and revealing his face.

"Master Anu, Censor of Mooncliffe," said the Master in his regal voice, pale blue eyes staring down at the guard. The guard recognised him and he bobbed his head in respect.

"As per the king's protocol, Master Anu, we must search your companions and belongings for any potential dangerous material. May we?"

Tia shot the old man an inquisitive look, head tilted, waiting for his direction.