The Pizza Girl

Amanda sees Cameron and I enter the room, smiling at each other, and gives me an approving nod. I roll my eyes at her, though I'm very pleased as well. James sits on the floor, leaning against the bedside. Amanda leans on him, her head resting on his shoulder. I raise an eyebrow at James, but he just winks at me.

"So, James how is Mackenzye?" Cameron asks James, nonchalant.

"I honestly don't know, and don't care." James says, pulling himself on top of Amanda.

Amanda giggles, and shoves James off her as he pretends to fall asleep. I roll my eyes. I clear my throat, and look Amanda right in the eye.

"We have a very important announcement." I declare, my voice loud and strong.

Amanda's jaw drops open, her eyes darting back and forth between Cameron and I. James pops up and soon matches Amanda's exspression.

"--Your pregnant?"

"--Your engaged?"

Amanda turns briefly to slap James's head for the inappropriate comment he had previously made. Then, Amanda turns back at me and shoot daggers at me.

"Your are both so far off, it scares me." I say, shuddering delicately.

"We...are...ordering pizza!" I declare.

Amanda throw sher pillow at my face, as James jumps up with a huge smile on his face. I roll my eyes as James lifts me into the air, declaring his undying love for me. Cameron sinks into the bean bag and pulls me down with him. I pull my phone out of my pocket and dial the number from "Shakes, Fries and PIZZA!" as I settle on Cameron's lap. 

1/2 an hour later...........

Ding, dong! James breaks away from Amanda, and squeals like a child. Amanda lets out a huff, clearly showing her distaste. I watch her march out of the room, prepared to give let the person responsible for interrupting her make-out session just how hostile she could be. I follow, intrigued. Cameron raises an eyebrow at me. I shrug at him and lead him downstairs, our fingers interwined.

"Yay, baby! Pizza man, give me what I asked for!" James whoops.

Except as James swings open the door he realizes our pizza will not be delivered by the pizza man, but by the pizza woman. One in particular that just so happened to go by the name of Mackenzye, as shown on her name tag. James jaw drops to the floor and Amanda, who is peeking around Jame's shoulder, freezes completely. Mackenzye nearly drops the pizza as she lets out an excited squeal, then cuts off abruptly. Her eyebrows narrow at James, then soften as she reaches my face.

"Hi, Chelsea." Mackenzye says to me, softly.

"James, I didn't think you would be here. You told me you would be at home baby-sitting your cousin, Marley, and that was why you had to cancel our date." Mackenzye says, confusion and suspicion entering her voice.

I bite my lip and let Cameron take a firm grip on my shoulder. I fight the urge to run up to Mackenzye yelling, "Get out of here! Save yourself!" But no, of course I wouldn't do that. It's embarassing, and stupid. I look at Mackenzye, trying to warn her with my eyes. Poor girl, oblivious of what's happening right in front of her. I glance at Amanda, whose eyes are filled with fear. I frown at her, dissapointment clouding my expression. Cameron clears his throat, and nudges James in the ribs. 

"I...I...well I had to...um, my cousin...moonlight...pizza?" James stutters, blinking stupidly.

"Apparently James forgot to inform you he was spending the night at my house." Cameron tells Mackenzye, looking disappointed with himself.

"James, if you wanted to hang with Cameron then you should have just told me!" Mackenzye exclaims laughing lightly, relief flooding her face.

Cameron takes the pizza from Mackenzye as she handed it to him. Amanda stealthily kicked James shin. His mouthed "ow!" at no one in particular then stepped forward towards Amanda, his eyes on the ground. Amanda smiles brightly at James, and throws her arms around his neck. James breaks away quickly and takes a step back. A few awkwards seconds go by, before Amanda speaks up.

"James, do it. You can never have the book if you don't tell your newspaper goodbye." Amanda says, looking at the trees on the far side of her property.

"Is she ok?" Mackenzye asks, eyeing Amanda with a concerned look planted on her face. 

"Amanda is perfect. Don't worry about her, Kenzye." Cameron says, reassuringly.

"Mackenzye, I love Amanda." James blurts out, nervously.

Mackenzye takes a startled step back, and misses the landing. James leans forward as if to catch her, but it's too late. Cameron and dash forward and catch her just in time to prevent her head from hitting the pavement. Mackenzye pushes us away, and brushes herself off as she stands shakily. Her bottom lip quivers, but she stays strong and does not cry.

"It's just that I know you don't really like me, so stop pretending. This is my last gift to you, Kenzye." James whispers, though we all hear.

Mackenzye blinks once, as her eyes seem to take focus. Everyone knew that James was lying to spare her dignity. Mackenzye nods, then turns and walks away. I squeeze my eyes shut, and whisper her name. Then I say it louder. Mackenzye stops, and turns quickly. 

"The pizza...we didn't pay for it." I mumble.

Cameron dishes out fifteen dollars and jogs over to Mackenzye. Mackenzye takes the money, and gives Cameron a swift peck on the cheek before struting to her car. As she drives away, I start crying. Cameron walks over and rubs my arm, comforting me. 

"Stop comforting me, I mean like I need comforting!" I say, shrugging Cameron off.

I spin on my heel, facing James. I glare at him, without mercy. I take long, deep breaths. James avoids my eyes, and I feel the strongest urge to call him a coward. He is a coward. He doesn't even care about what he just did! I'm about to unleash my most powerful army of insults, when a thought strikes me. I turn to Amanda who is wrapped in James's arms.

"Don't you look so sweet together? Quickly, grab a camera! Mackenzye would looove to know you're happy, James. Isn't that what love is about? Oh my gosh, I am so sorry. I forgot, you don't know what that is do you? Oh,  guess it's good you have Amanda to sort that out for you." I sneer.

Amanda frowns at me, shaking her head. I flip my long hair over my shoulder and rest my hands on my hips. 

"I'm going home. I can't stand to be around you foul, despicable, lousy excuses of lovers!" I screech.

"Chelsea, you bitch! Can't I be happy for once? Don't you think I get sick of being in your little Cameron and Chelsea world? Selfish brat!" Amanda cried.

"Oh, my apologies! I guess I forgot the number one rule: Ignore others pain, because as long as you get what you want everything is sunshine and rainbows!" I spit out. 

I race to my car, ignoring Cameron's protests. I wrench the door open and climb in. I sloppily wipe the tears pouring down my face as I drive away. The question of where my destination is never pops into my mind as I drive, not once.