Cat Haus 2 Excerpt

CHAPTER 1 (complete story available at all major eBook retailers)

I stayed in my room for the rest of last night—the night that so many things changed. Gus losing the Cat Haus. John informing me he was the new owner, right before he left my room without another word. Not to mention without anything else being exchanged between us either. I guess that part of our relationship—if you could call it that—was over. No more nights spent in the splendor of his hotel suite having hot sex for me.

But if I was truthful with myself, I would have admitted the reason I'd hidden in my bedroom on a Saturday night instead of making money entertaining gentleman callers was because what happened at the poker game had freaked me out. Enough so that if Gus had still been my boss, I probably would have quit rather than continue to work for a man who treated me like I was his property. Like something he could give away to other men to use or abuse at will.

Even now that I knew Gus was no longer in charge, and even with the morning sun rising higher over the horizon after chasing away the night and all the fears darkness brings, I still stayed in my bed. Not moving. Not wanting to.

I heard the front bell ring. The first customer of the new day had arrived. I was supposed to be dressed and ready so I could run down that long hall and stand in the lineup of girls the client would choose from.

The reality was I was still wearing the sweatpants and T-shirt I'd slept in. I had no make-up on and my hair probably looked like hell. I'd gone to sleep with it damp after taking a marathon shower to rid myself of all remnants of Gus's little poker party. The one where I'd been served up on the table as the main course to the players.

Fucking bastard. If I ever saw him again, I'd—

Actually, Gus might still be here. Yes, he'd gambled and lost the business in that game, but surely John would let Gus pack up any personal belongings. Would Gus have done that last night? Or would he have to rent a truck or something and come back this morning?

I considered if I should get up and go find out. Did I have it in me to face him again?

Yeah, I think I might. I was mad as hell, and that was good. Anger made a person strong. But deeper inside, past the hardness of the rage was something that felt like a bruise on my soul. Like when an apple falls on the floor and gets that soft, squishy spot. You leave it long enough and it'll start to spoil. The decay had started in one tiny spot, but it would spread until it invaded the good flesh and made the whole piece of fruit rot.

That was why I needed to get out of this bed. Because I couldn't let the damage Gus had caused spread until it consumed me.

Dressed like this, I wasn't ready to party with the guest who'd just arrived, but I was sure as hell dressed good enough to face whatever awaited me in the office and in Gus's wing of the building.

I flipped the sheets back and slid out of the bed. Glancing in the mirror, I decided I needed to do a little bit of damage control before venturing out in public, though it didn't amount to more than brushing my teeth, scrubbing my face, and running a hand through my hair. That would have to do. I was only going to check things out anyway. See if Gus was good and gone. See if I could figure out what plans John had for the place.

Hell, there could be a real estate sign in the front lawn by now for all I knew. After all, what would a man like John want with a brothel? My gut told me he'd want to get what money he could out of the sale of it and go on with his life, which would mean I'd probably never see John again. That would also leave us with another new owner, and possibly without a job if someone decided the property was worth more without the whorehouse on it.