Chapter 4- Caught in the Act

Gulping, I lifted my head away from Conner's.

Travis was looking at us from the sidewalk in front of the park, his mouth physically dropped open. I quickly stumbled to my feet, becoming aware that it looked like I was only wearing one of Conner's shirts to cover me.

Conner reluctantly stood up, mumbling. "You should tell your new friend to close his mouth, he'll catch flies." But apparently, Travis had head him, because he snapped his jaw shut.

"Travis?"

"Hey." He raised one hand weakly, not bothering to stop starring at our obvious lack of clothing.

I started to think of excuses, to why we would be dancing in the sprinklers half-naked. I was considering using the American Indian rain dance excuse, when Conner broke in.

"Can we help you?" He asked rudely, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Uhhhh." Travis gulped. "No sorry, I just didn't know you two were- uhhhh-"

"We're not." Conner cut him off sharply, glaring.

Meanwhile, I was frozen in silence.

"But you two-"

I finally unfroze and broke in, changing the subject away from our previous, rather inappropriate actions. "What are you doing here?"

He pointed his thumb over his shoulder, his grey gaze still watching us suspiciously. "I just moved in down the street. I was going for a walk when I heard you guys."

All I heard was, moved in down the street.

"Of course you did." I mumbled, before sneaking a glance at my best friend, and knowing that he was thinking the same thing as me.

Things were about to get a whole lot more complicated.

"Oh well, we live right over there." I gestured to our houses, exactly three doors away from each other. I inwardly sighed when I realized that Travis's house was directly in the middle of ours.

Travis glanced at our houses, before turning back to stare at us again. "Cool."

Conner sighed impatiently, purposefully being loud. He glanced at his wrist, forgetting that he had taken off his watch before we had left. I held back a snort of laughter, but caught on with his message.

"Well it's been fun,-"

"Yeah right." Conner mumbled.

"But we really should get going before the cops show up. It usually takes around fifteen minutes for the neighbors to finally call them, so....."

Travis nodded, looking thoughtful. "Yeah, sure. See you later then." He turned to walk back towards his house. Conner and I watched him walk away, not willing to start for home until he was out of sight. But when he stopped outside of his house, he turned back to us.

"Have fun!" He called, a smirk spreading over his face. "Just not too much fun. I want to get some decent sleep tonight. I'm a light sleeper, so try not to be too loud tonight. Later!" And with that, he opened his front door and headed inside.

Leaving us staring after him, mouths dropped open.

~~~~~~~~

The walk back home with Conner was agonizingly quiet. And usually, quiet and Conner don't even fit in a sentence together without a 'not' in between.

But as soon as the front door was slammed closed, Conner exploded. Ranting angrily, he marched up to his room, me following shell-shocked in tow.

"Why that little twit! I swear, if he tells anyone...."