mister popular meets miss nobody (chapter 4)

CHAPTER FOUR

I didn't bother to finish chemistry. I go straight home because I'm still embarrassed on what just happened.

When I arrived home, I saw my father lying on the floor near the door. I run to him and wake him up but he didn't say anything. I called 911 for help.

It was a very long day. The doctors examined my father about 5 hours ago after we arrived here in the hospital. I don't want to bother Alice but I can't help it. I need someone beside me now. I'm so scared on what will the doctors will tell me.

It's been a long hour when they checked on him and yet the door in the emergency room didn't move an inch. I'm starting to worry about my father. I don't know what happened. When the police checked on our house, they told me that no one entered and hurt my father. I called Alice and told her what happened. Alice arrived just a few minutes after I called her. Sean is with him.

"What happened Sam? Where's your Dad?" she told me that meters away from me. She half run towards me and hugged me.

"I don't know. It's almost 5 hours when the doctors checked on my father. I'm starting to worry about him. I found him lying near the door of our house."

I hugged her. I didn't know that tears came falling down my cheek until Alice wiped it dry for me. A doctor came out from the emergency room and my body tense up when I saw the expression on his face.

That was 5 months ago. My father died that night. He didn't told me that he has Leukemia.

I celebrated my 18th birthday without my father by my side. Alice told me to attend a huge birthday party for me at her house so that I won't be alone in this day.

I'm looking for a place that is quiet here in Alice's house. I found what I'm looking for and sat the wood bench in it. Hours passed. I heard foot steps coming closer behind my back. I didn't bother to look who she or he is.

"What are you doing here all alone Sam?" Mark had said.

"Alice asked me to go look for you. She's worried sick you know." Mark sat beside me.

This is my favorite part of the house. Alice and I used to study around here. It's quiet, peaceful and beautiful. It's also overlooking at the river near Alice's house.

"I just wanted to be alone." I said to him almost a whisper.

He didn't say anything so I was shocked when he hugged me tight. I know he's comforting me but I don't want anyone see me cry. Even if it is Alice.

"Let go of me Mark." I said that in a strong voice that I can handle.

"I swear I'll rip your head off if you don't let go of me now." He didn't say anything.

He just keeps on hugging me like that. I tried to push him away but I don't have enough strength to push him away.

"Let go of me."

I know I can't stop my tears from falling from my eyes. I tried to punch his chest but nothing happened.

"Let go of me Mark. I'm begging."

My tears start to fall from my eyes. I can't stand it anymore. I started crying loud on his chest. He continued to hug me and comfort me.

"It's alright Sam. It's alright. I'm here. Don't forget that."

I hugged him and continued to cry. It feels do weird. I can't stop my tears from falling. I don't want to feel this pain in my heart. It feels like I'm falling into pieces. It's too painful. I promise my dad not to cry when he's already gone. But I know I can't do that. I love him so much.

(At the hospital - flash back)

"Promise me not to cry Samantha. When I'm gone, I want you to be happy. I want you to enjoy life like I never left you. Don't waste one drop of tear on me. I don't deserve it because I lied to you about my health. I never left home to go on a business trips. I'm outside the country to find doctors who can heal me. For you honey. I found one in California but he said that it's too late. He said I only have few weeks in me. When I know that I'm going to die, I go home immediately. I don't want to die without you by my side. I want to say sorry for lying to you honey. I love you so much that's why I want to live long. But I guess it's just the way it is. People live and die. I'm just a little early that you are." He smiled at me. I can see trough his eyes that he is so weak. I know I only have a few hours with him. Or maybe minutes. I let my tears fall down my cheek. I'm going to miss my dad. I can't say anything to him. Talking makes me feel like I'm going to loose it. I don't want him see me cry.

"I love you daddy."

I can't hold my tears back anymore. Tears fell from my eyes fast. I just can't help it.

"I love you too baby. More than my life."

He slowly closed his eyes. I know it will not open again. I hugged him and cried loud in his chest. I can feel Alice's hand on my back...

(Back to Alice's party)

I cried on Mark's shoulder almost an hour. My eyes starts to dry and my mouth fell silent. He pulled him self away from me.

"How do you feel?" He ask me while wiping my tears off.

"T - Thank y - you." was all I can manage to say. He gave me one more quick hug.

"I think we better get back to the party before Alice calls the police to find you."

He smiled at me and offers me his hand. I quickly fixed my hair and clothes and take his hand on mine. We walk back to the house holding hands without saying anything.

"Happy birthday"

He whispered it to my ear when we reached the back door. I'm glad Mark found me here. I feel so relieved to let my emotions come out.

MISTER POPULAR MEETS MISS NOBODY

Sancti Trinidad S. Diaz