Chapter 01: The Home-Coming Dance (Edited)

He closed the distance between us with a confident, almost cocky stride. As he drew closer, I was able to discern more about this unfamiliar character. For one, he was undeniably wet from head-to-toe. For a moment, I entertained the idea that he had come out of the pond where I had thrown the promise ring, but promptly labeled such fantasies as 'ludicrous'. But, for some reason, he was wet. Also, strangely enough, he didn't seem to be bothered by the bitterly cold air that blew at upwards of fifty miles per hour.

I had half a mind to be absolutely terrified. I really should have been, considering the fact that I was face-to-face with a man that I had never met before, surrounded by miles of frost-bitten forest, and he had a wand. That just wasn't normal. After several tense moments, however, he stopped in-front of me, his battered old Chuck Taylors buried an inch-deep in the fresh fallen snow. He'd left a nice trail from the pond. He stuffed his hands into the pockets of his jeans and offered me a cursory once-over.

"Um... hello. Do I know you?" I took a step back, unwilling to acknowledge the way that my legs trembled as I moved. He shook his head, taking a step forward to close the gap. "Don't! Just... don't..."

He removed his hands from his pockets, raising them in a show of innocence. "Whatever you want, Ms. Davidson. Your wish is my command."

I narrowed my eyes at him, but he remained stock-still. "Give me one good reason why I shouldn't call the cops and turn your ass in for trespassing?"

With both hands still raised in the air, he flicked his left wrist. A sleek black IPhone appeared, the emergency call selection already highlighted. "If that's what you want, Ms. Davidson. I'll even dial them for you and 'turn myself in'."

He started to dial. Suddenly second-guessing myself, I quickly reached out and snatched the phone away from him. "Wait a minute."

"Yes?" He asked. Blinking his attentive blue eyes slowly, he stuffed his hands back into his pockets.

"I want to know how you know my name." I said. "I never told you what it was."

He shrugged. "You're a client. I know all of the names of my clients - those that have come in the past, those that exist in the present, and those that will come in the future. In fact," here, that cocky smirk returned, "I know everything there is to know about you."

My blue eyes flickered down to the phone, suddenly wondering if it was such a good idea to take it away from him. "And this is supposed to not make me want to call the cops?"

Gruff, deep laughter filled the air. So he thought that my paranoia was funny, huh? "Your file said that you were a feisty one!" He could barely control himself. "Do what you want. But I can't be your date to home-coming if I'm in a jail cell."

Ignoring most of what he had to say, I simply offered, "What file?"

The phone disappeared. I didn't realize that it had vanished from my hand until I looked down and noticed that it had been replaced with a black, spiral-bound notebook. On the front, in shimmering silver letters, was my name: Amor Davidson. Beneath it, in a neat black stencil, was the date of my birth: October 21st, 1995. There was a small dash next to it, with a blank space left to the right to signify that I was still living. Curious, I turned to the first page of the notebook. My face slowly contorted with disbelief as I beheld moving photographs of my life, with captions beneath them.

The first was a picture from the day that I was born. In it, my father and mother passed me back and forth in a seemingly endless cycle. The caption read: Amor Davidson, born two and a half weeks early. Next, a family photo taken when I was two. My older sister was shoving me aside so that she could have more of the shot to herself. Another caption: Mom and Dad, Katherine and Amor Davidson. First instance of Katherine as bully. A few pages in, there was a photo of me kissing Darren on the beach. The caption: Amor's first and only love. And they went on like that...