Chapter One: Law Abiding Citizen (Edited)

Chapter One: Law Abiding Citizen

Being stuck in a plane, twenty-two thousand feet in the air, filled with Satan’s children is basically the equivalent to being stuck in hell. Not only were the children testing my patients but if I told one of the parents what I thought of their children, they would have probably seen it as a compliment.

By the time I manage to get out of the airport it's already 4:00pm, 2 hours after my flight had landed and I was deliberating whether or not sleeping on the ground would be worth it. My father was supposed to pick me up half an hour ago and to be honest; I am not in the mood for his delayed crap.

I am snapped out of my thoughts when I feel my phone vibrate in my pocket, pulling it out I see a message from an unknown number. Opening it up, I read the message and almost throw my phone at the side walk.

Ava you need to take a cab home, I forgot you were coming today.
-Dad.

Exhaling a large breath, I pick up my lone suitcase and start to drag my it to the end of the side walk, while signalling for a taxi. It takes almost fifteen minutes for a taxi to pull up at the curb and by then I am close to ripping someone’s head off if they decide to give me attitude.

“Where you off to, honey.” The elderly taxi driver asks me.

“142 Oakes Road please.” I reply in the politest tone I can muster.

As the taxi starts to pull away, I place my head on the window and watch my surroundings change, from sky scrapers to trees, from trees to subruban streets and soon enough I'm grudgingly pulling my suitcase out of the trunk and walking towards a modern day Victorian style house.

The grey that colours the exterior of the house is light enough to look warm and inviting but ironically I feel cold and unwelcome. I know I can’t stay out here forever, but looking around I notice the empty drive way which basically tells me what I'm in for, a life of absence and loneliness, how tragic.

Sighing, I open the front door and walk inside, while dragging my luggage behind me. The first thing I notice is the staircase to my right, the little lights on the walls that make the house look cute and the small table and chair near the rails give off a homey feel.

Shaking my head, I release a chuckle as I think of how empty this house actually is. As I'm about to walk up the stairs, my eyes fall on a note lying on the table. Reaching over I pick up the note and read it slowly.

Ava, your room is on the left side up stairs, it is the second door on the right.
-Dad

Taking the note with me, I start to climb the stairs while re-reading it. Not even a ‘call me when you’re home.’ I should’ve just rented out an apartment. I think to myself. As I reach the top of the stairs I followe the instructions and make a left, passing door number one on my right and eventually reaching the second door.

Opening the door I'm greeted by the sight of a large queen size bed in the middle of the room. Next to the bed is a large window with two chairs placed in front, to the right is a built in bookshelf with a t.v. on top.

Walking further into the room, I see a large open space. Placing my luggage next to the wall, I walk towards the open space and see a large cupboard in the middle. The room is elegant and spacious as well as comfy and peaceful; it’s a hell of an upgrade from what I left behind.

I don’t feel the need to stay in the house, waiting for my father to show his face, so instead I decide to take a walk around the town. Leaving the house with the spare key in my pocket, I start walking up the street, taking in the scenery and the houses around me. They are similar in size to the one I'm living in but they also have their unique style.