Chapter 12

Chapter 12

"So, her name is Zoey?" Foaly inquired casually, though the situation was far from casual. It was dire and should be hurried along as quickly as possible.

"Actually it's Olivia, but yes, Zoey is her name." Artemis replied. Foaly nodded once and went straight to work examining the tracker behind her ear and her hair barette.

"You haven't done anything with the clip at all?" Foaly asked in disbelief. The Mud boy had once been well known for dismantling fairy technology and using it to see through fairy shields. One time, he had combined all his confiscated LEP weapons and other various inventions into a supercomputer, and what a disaster that had been! After three mind wipes (and three mind recollections), a temporary defeat of a deranged pixie supercriminal, the discovery and rescuing of a goblin warlock, and a trip back in time to save his mother, Artemis was back on his feet and ready to form a genuine friendship with the fairies. Foaly, however, was still unconvinced that the criminal mastermind had really changed his ways for the better, and therefore remained cautious and untrusting around him. A sharp burst of static sounded from Zoey's hair clip after a few minutes of Foaly observing it carefully, making him whinny in a startled fashion.

"Who's this? An expert of some sort?" Trevor Raven asked irritatingly. "He sounds like a horse, or more likely a centaur if I'm not mistaken..."

"Why does he know about centaurs?" Foaly demanded Artemis, who waved his hand around in the air, dismissing the venial comment.

"Just ignore him." Artemis answered.

"How can I ignore a definte threat to the expulsion of my existance? We let one Mud Man off the hook for learning our secrets, and look where that got us!" Foaly exclaimed angrily. Artemis was too tired to argue, so he didn't bother to reply. Foaly quickly returned to carefully examining Zoey's hair clip. If he had a pair of reading glasses, he definetley would have slipped them on to appear more clever and intellegent, but he just had to do without the accessory for now. After another while of close observation, he stepped back suddenly and breathed out a conclusatory, 'Aha!'

"Did you find something?" Butler asked curiously.

"Yes I did." Foaly said boastfully. He was not the type to hesitate to brag about a fantastic invention or discovery, but he also wasn't the type to just spout his ideas off to anybody. He jerked his head towards the doors of the room, motioning that telling them what he had found with Raven listening in to them was not the best idea.

"Out of the room, so he can't hear." He whispered to them, as they were extremely tired and did not understand his head gesture.

"I can hear you." Dr. Raven gloated from his invulnerable position in Zoey's barette.

"Be quiet." Artemis snapped at the doctor.

"Make me." He retorted. Artemis thought how nice it would have been to lunge forth and pluck the miserable man from Zoey's hair clip and have Butler torture him right on the spot, but instead Butler placed a comforting hand on his shoulder, assuring him that everything would be alright as long as they got to work quickly. Artemis was very impressed with Butler. Not many could remain as calm as he could throughout a situation such as this, especially in the position he was in, being the girl's supposed father.

"Holly, stay with the girl please." Artemis asked of Holly, who nodded and scurried over to Zoey's beside. The bed was a bit taller than her, so she had to peek up over the side on her tiptoes. Luckily, Zoey remained fast asleep with no nightmares to bother her. Artemis smiled at the scene before he left the room with Butler and Foaly.

"This Raven character isn't as smart as he thinks." Foaly informed them proudly once they were far down the hallway and out of earshot of the whisper-sensitive barette.