Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Blaine and I spent the next five days on the road. We would have gotten closer to home if he hadn’t been stopping every chance he got.

I had called my mom every day. She was starting to wonder when I was getting home, although she was excited that I was hanging out with Blaine. She liked Blaine, a lot. It was strange when my mom and I were talking on the phone, and she would suddenly tell me to put Blaine on the phone.

Blaine and my mom would start joking around, and he laughed at every single thing my mom said, even when I thought her jokes and comments were a little on the lame side. He charmed his way into my mom’s good graces. It was weird.

I hadn’t questioned our relationship lately, but I could tell that Blaine knew it was constantly on my mind. I wanted him to define what we were. To me, Blaine acted like if I was his girlfriend.

One day, Blaine and I had been walking in the city. We’d had dinner in a nice restaurant, and Blaine had wanted to go out on a stroll after that. While he’d taken a break to take a phone call, I had been standing over a bridge, overlooking a nice manmade pond down below.

A guy came over to talk to me. We exchanged a few words. He was on a business trip in the city. I didn’t think anything of our conversation, until Blaine joined us shortly after, and he practically had a pissing match with the poor guy.

Since that day, Blaine had hardly left my side when we were out and about. He held my hand, or kept his arm either around my waist or over my shoulders. It surprised me how possessive he was, especially when he had such trouble answering my questions about our relationship.

I hated how attached I was growing to him. I hated it more because he never gave me a straight answer. It made me feel insecure, and I wasn’t used to that.

When we were about a state away from home, we made our last stop. Blaine owned a cabin near a lake. Every time I found out something new that Blaine owned, I now simply shook my head. It was all too much.

He didn’t own as much property as I first assumed. He had the cabin we were going to, the Island he apparently owned, the house he lived in in the city, and an apartment in New York. It was still way too much. He’d shared that piece of information on the drive to the cabin.

It was something that I’d noticed had been happening between us in the last five days. Little by little, Blaine was sharing more about himself. I wouldn’t have minded if he shared a bit less about his wealth. I didn’t like to be reminded that he was in a really different category than me.

That was the main reason I hated that Blaine couldn’t define what we were. But he didn’t back off. He couldn’t define our relationship, but he wanted to be hugging, holding, and kissing me.

“Do you like it?”

As soon as I stepped out of the car, I looked around. The place was beautiful. We’d arrived late in the afternoon, but the sun was barely setting. The water was shining beautifully from where I was. Blaine’s and my definition of cabin was completely different. The ‘cabin’ was two stories. It was very well taken care of, so I imagined it got maintenance regularly.

Blaine only grabbed one of the duffel bags, and he started walking me inside. I wanted to stay there, to contemplate the water. It was very tempting. The sun was still warming the area, but I could feel light winds making the air fresh. I had no doubt that once it got dark; the area was going to get cold.

“So far, I gotta say I’m impressed,” I told Blaine, following him up the stairs.

“My mom used to bring Alex me here when I was little. I have good memories of this place.”