Chapter 7

By the time Monday rolled around, my back was feeling better. It was still sore, but not nearly as bad as it had been on Saturday. Biology went by quickly and after the bell rang, I once again started down the hall with Blake. We were halfway too his class when I heard my name being called. I stopped and looked behind me. Rachel was hurrying towards me and I turned my head to Blake. “Hey, Rachel is behind us. Mind if we wait for her to catch up?”

            He grumbled a bit, but agreed. “Just don’t expect me to be friendly,” he said.

            “Why would I expect that? You’d shock me if you were friendly,” I replied.

            Rachel reached us at that moment. “Hey Hailey! How was your weekend?”

            “It wasn’t too bad. How was your party?”

            “So much fun! I still wish you had come though.”

            “Sorry, parties really just aren’t my kind of thing. Maybe we can get together this weekend though. Maybe go shopping or something.”

            Her eyes lit up. “Yeah! That sounds like fun.” She turned her attention to Blake. “Hi, I’m Rachel.”

            He didn’t respond, so I elbowed him in the side. “Ouch!” he said with a scowl. “What the hell was that for?”

            “You don’t have to be friendly to just say hi back,” I told him.

            He muttered something unintelligible before turning in Rachel’s direction. “Hi,” he said grudgingly.

            I grinned. “See? That wasn’t so hard, was it?”

            “You are such a pain in the ass,” he stated.

            “I know. But you have to admit that I’m growing on you.”

            He sighed. “Think whatever you want.”

            I turned back to Rachel. “Don’t mind him, he’s always cranky. I’m going to walk with him to his class and then I’ll see you in math.”

            She grinned at me. “Okay, I’ll see you there.”

            I tugged on Blake’s arm and we started down the hallway once again. When we got to his classroom, I shifted so that I was in front of him and he followed me to his seat. Once he was sitting, I looked down at him. “If you’re not busy after school, I’ll be at the park with Tonto. You could bring Abby so they could play if you want too. I’ll be there by about four/”

            “I’ll think about it,” he replied.

            I rolled my eyes. “Don’t sound so enthusiastic,” I said dryly.

            “You can leave now,” he said.

            “Well, that was rude. This is the thanks I get for taking the time out of my busy schedule to walk with you?”

            I saw one of his eyebrows raise. “Busy schedule?”

            “Yeah. I could be doing other things, you know. Like, sitting in my math class, twiddling my thumbs. Or acting like a girl and making sure my makeup is perfect. Or-”

            “Okay, okay, I get it. Thank you for walking with me.”

            I smirked. “You’re welcome. I’ll talk to you later.”