The Wizard Duel

Cecht opened the door to Aleandor's Shop of Mystical Trinkets with a light push. He stepped quickly up the stairs to the main floor, a space with amulets, rings, statues, and other artifacts floating above marble pedestals spaced unevenly across the floor. Auras of magic shimmered around the levitating items as sunlight filtering through the windows struck them. Most were simply props and had filled the gallery for weeks now. He crossed the floor briskly, paying little attention to the items, his destination the counter on the opposite side. Behind it sat a native to Caldea, Aleandor. He was an older man with golden beige skin and a head and face of stark white hair. He held a monocle sized magnifying glass up to a golden ring.

"Are they ready?" Cecht asked. Aleandor, annoyed at the young lad's lack of introductions, gave him a look to let him know. Cecht started tapping his hand on the counter and sighed. "Hello Aleandor! Fair weather this bright day, no? I trust the gods have been kind to you lately." He finished with a flourish of his free hand.

"You know," Aleandor started, lowering his magnifying glass and turning to look at the sarcastic youth, "back in my day a slave like you would have been raped and murdered the first day they were abducted."

"Back in your day you were a lawless band of rapists and murderers. You did that to everyone."

"Not me, boy." Aleandor began raising a wagging finger. "I'll have you know I--"

"You were a founding member of the council, you helped bring law and civilization, and then you started this shop." Cecht had lifted his tapping finger and made a rolling motion with the hand, carrying the conversation through the same old story he had heard time and time again. "I've heard the story time and time again. Now, would you be so kind as to answer me?"

Aleandor placed the ring he had been working on in front of Cecht. It had a simple, thick golden band with an ivory disc set on top. In the disc was carved the front of a rearing unicorn. "Yes, it's ready. I finished it this morning and have been placing some touch ups on it since," he said. "It will do everything you asked for, but are you sure it's what you want? It'll cost the entire amount of funds you’ve been provided, and it’s very dangerous."

Cecht picked up the ring and rolled it around in his fingers. He ran his thumb over the unicorn carving, feeling its texture. "You always provide the best merchandise, old man," he said, slipping the ring on one of his fingers. "Yes, I'm sure I want this. If it does everything I asked for it is more than worth the cost." He turned from the jeweler and held up his hand, palm out. He focused his mind on the ring, directing magic into it. Moments later an oval disc of shimmering white light materialized before his palm, light denser than any material and nigh unbreakable. It was slightly larger than him and opaque, with a bright outline of blue light. A grin appeared on the young wizard's face.

He straightened himself and once more focused on the magical implement as he poured magic into it. The opaque oval of white light dimmed into darkness before it ceased to exist, tearing a hole in the fabric of time and space. Inside the blue oval lay a separate dimension. A dimension Cecht was free to carry around with him.

Cecht took a copper coin from one of the many pockets in his robe and tossed. The coin passed seamlessly into the hole, where it disappeared.

"Dimensional magic is dangerous boy; you're just as likely to kill yourself with it as you are Saccius."

"I know, old man, I know." Cecht willed the rift to close, took off the ring, and set it on the counter. "I wouldn't have asked for it if I didn't think it was necessary," he said, leaning on the counter. "Now, do you also have the other item I asked for?" Aleandor took in Cecht for a moment, judging the boy. The renegade slave was well known throughout town as being unusually outspoken and dangerously arrogant, both things that made him the talk of the town, but only because he could back up his words. Others who couldn’t didn't live for very long.