Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Eve Clavnik looked up from her desk just as the door to her office was pushed open and the short grey haired man walked in. His stony features were stern as he glared down at the young doctor and she jumped up from her seat.

"Doctor Clavnik, what the hell have you allowed to happen?" shouted the old man. He took no notice of the woman's outstretched right hand as he dropped himself into the chair opposite her.

"Professor Carlson... it was hardly my fault! I..."

"Hardly your fault," Carlson cut in. "Tonight you are the one in charge are you not?"

Eve looked down at her desk and clasped her hands together. She felt like a naughty little girl standing in front of the headmaster.

"Well, what I meant to say was..."

"Were you or were you not in charge tonight?"

She looked into the man's glassy, blue eyes and lowered herself into her own seat. "Yes that's right, I was in charge and as soon as I became aware of the situation I made a call to all of the relevant authorities and informed them of the situation." Her voice sounded quiet and subdued to her own ears and she could see by the look on Carlson's face that he was relishing her discomfort.

"And is that supposed to make me feel better?" snapped the old man.

He had pushed her far enough. She cleared her throat and narrowed her eyes at him. "Now you just wait a minute. This could have happened at any time and to anyone, including you."

"You're right, it could have. Anyone could have been at the helm when one of our most dangerous patients decided to make his escape. The only problem is that it didn't happen to anyone did it?"

She sat back and gently rubbed the tension that throbbed against her temples knowing that Professor Carlson would have an answer to anything she said. She had no defence.

She took in a deep breath and slowly released it. It was going to be a long night.

* * *

Stephen Clarke knew that he had not escaped, not yet anyway. They would be after him soon if they had not already realised that he was not in his cell.

That idiot Henshall had been one of the easiest minds he had come across. He was a nice enough man, always taking time to talk to the quiet boy who just sat in the corner and looked into space through dead eyes.

Henshall had given too much of himself away, had shown his weaknesses without even knowing it. Inch by inch Stephen had probed deeper into the mind of the carer until he found the right code, the code that would make him think that he had locked the cell door when really he had not. The rest was relatively easy. All he had to do was concentrate hard enough and the security cameras would not be aware of his presence. All he had to do was wait for someone to walk out of one of the safety doors for a smoke and follow them out.

He could have escaped any time he had wanted but he had been patient and taken his time. He needed to know where his sister was before he made his move and now his mind had made the connection. Now he knew exactly where she was and he was going to get her.