Chapter 29- Quarterfinals

Author's note: Sheep- So after a long break, here's chapter 29. Sorry for the long wait, I was busy. :P Oh well... You've seen Avery and Erica. So now, here's Victoria! >>>>>>>>

Chapter 29- Quarterfinals

Avery:

Quarterfinals were today. I heard from Michelle that they lost last year, hopefully this time round we’ll be able to make it into the semifinals.

Mr. Burns gathered us, “Team, today we’ll be playing against Northwood High. They’re not so bad. We should be able to win. Have confidence in yourselves.”

Mr. Burns sent out Christine, Jessica, Michelle, Lynette and I. As we made our way to the court, I looked towards the audience. I searched for Sophie, hoping that she would be there to watch the game. And then, I saw her. She was sitting with Tracy.

My heartbeat quickened. She’s watching the game. She really is. I can’t make any mistakes. I have to play well. I cannot disappoint her.

I felt nervous. I cannot afford to fail in front of Sophie. I know, in her, there’s no room for failure.

The match started. Jump ball, Jessica tapped the ball and I ran forward to get it. When I did, I grabbed the ball. I was by the three-point line. I looked to my right, I saw Christine signaling me to pass the ball to her. I looked at the basket. I know I can make this shot. Although I’m not good at three-points, this angle was perfect for me. I bend my knees, aimed and shot. I bit my lip. The ball went into the hoop. I jumped up and down like a fool and gave a hi-five to Christine.

You know that feeling you get when you score the first goal for the team? Yeah, I’m having that feeling now.

On the third quarter, Mr. Burns switched Lynette out and placed Victoria in. I’m telling you, we make a pretty good team. By the end of the third quarter, we were leading, 53 to 39. We are definitely getting into the semifinals now!

We were very lucky this time round as we were able to get a fairly easy opponent for the quarterfinals. From what I heard last year, McKinley was chosen to play against Notting Hill whereby we lost by a point.

Notting Hill was the school’s biggest competition for basketball. We’re always battling for to get into the finals. I heard stories from the seniors that seven years ago, it was a match to the finals between McKinley and Notting Hill. We would’ve got into the finals but the referee was biased. Because of that, Notting Hill got in despite the fact that they fouled many times. The crowd jeered but the panel referee didn’t care. There were also rumors that the coaches had bad blood between them. Although they said that they changed the referee, Notting Hill was still as snobbish as ever. They look down on us because of the match seven years ago.

Final quarter, I’m sure we can do this. I look back to the crowd in search of Sophie. I saw her cheering. I can’t fail now. We have to win.

Victoria:

We did it! We won! We got into the semifinals! We walked back to the benches.

“Good job, team!” Mr. Burns congratulated us.

I looked to Avery.

What is she looking at? Even during the game, she kept looking to the crowd. I looked in the direction she was staring at. I saw Sophie in a distance. Don’t tell me she was staring at Sophie? That can’t be. Avery is not… Or is she?

Oh no, how is Michelle going to feel?

I turned my head to look at Michelle. Michelle looked at me and shook her head. She realized it too, huh?

“I am especially proud of Avery. She has stayed the whole four quarters and played exceptionally well, especially scoring the first goal.” Mr. Burns praised.

I saw Avery smiling widely and looking back into the crowd.

Oh great, Michelle likes Avery but Avery likes Sophie? Seriously? I doubt Avery even knows Sophie. How the hell can she like her?!

Michelle:

I felt really proud of Avery. The coach was praising my girl.

But what I’m not happy about was the fact that she kept looking into the crowd. I was curious and I followed her gaze. It led to the direction of where Sophie was standing. No, it can’t be. Is that why she kept asking about Sophie?

I felt crushed. Utterly crushed.

I looked back into the crowd and Sophie waved at Jessica and I. I waved back and smiled but a part of me wanted to go up there and rip her into pieces.

I looked back at Avery. As she turned she was smiling madly to herself. She looked up and saw Jessica and I waving. She looked back into the crowd with a frown on her face.

Ugh, I don’t know what to do. The love of my life has fell for someone else. To make matters worst, it was someone I knew very well.

Avery:

I looked back into crowd when Mr. Burns praised me. I was filled with pride. I just hope Sophie was impressed with me. I found Sophie, this time she was standing up and waving and smiling.

Was she smiling at me? Has she finally taken notice of me?

I smiled widely to myself as I turned behind. I saw Jessica and Michelle waving. Then I knew, Sophie wasn’t waving at me, but them.

I admit I was disappointed, but I can’t help but just feel happy because Sophie’s smile was the brightest smile I’ve ever seen.

Oh gosh, I think I’m in love.