Run In

I heard footsteps behind me and my name being shouted, but I ignored it and kept running as fast as my legs could carry me.  The pain forming in my side was almost too much. I couldn’t keep running for much longer, but I had to put as much distance between us as possible. Andy had stopped running a little while back. It seemed he was more out of shape than me. I kept racing, my heart pounding and side throbbing. A ran a little further before stopping. I felt like my heart was going to burst out of my chest. I really should get in shape. The world started spinning around me, so I steadied myself against a tree. Maybe I shouldn’t have run off like that, but I just can’t be around people in the woods, especially a guy. Bad things had happened to me in the woods before, and I wasn’t going to let it happen again.

                As I stood leaning against the tree, I started to rationalize. Running off might not have been the best thing. Andy may have been able to protect me if anything happened, but then again he was pretty out of shape. I shook my head trying to clear it. It doesn’t matter now. I already left him. I was alone and lost. Then again I guess that was the point of this insane game, except I was meant to be with Andy. Wait a second, that’s exactly why they left us out here. They were using this game as a way to make me be friendlier towards him, and probably like him. Well, I’ve got news for them. That wasn’t going to happen. Not now, not ever. I knew I was being stubborn about it, but I couldn’t bear getting crushed again. It had happened before.

                It was when we lived in a town outside Birmingham. I had a best friend. Her name was Ailsa. We did everything together, and we shared everything together. She was like the sister I never had. No, she was even better than that. It was like we had known each other all of our lives. And that was all ripped away from me when we moved. Moving so far away from her without a way to contact her was like torture, like I had lost part of myself. That’s why I didn’t want to make friends again.  I never wanted to feel that way again, and if that meant being alone then so be it.

                I snapped out of my memories. My throat was unbearably dry and my side still ached. I knew water would help sooth both of them. I only had to find it. I wandered around trying to find a sign of water. I soon stepped onto a soft squishy surface, mud. I smiled, that meant water was near. Looking down towards the ground, I followed the mud. I soon found a little stream of water. Greedily, I dipped my hands into the cool water and drank. It felt so nice drizzling down my throat. I hope Andy knew at least something about survival. We wouldn’t be out here at dark. There were too many dangers out here. My grandparents would find us if we didn’t arrive back at sunset. How was I supposed to get home? I had no idea where I was or what direction I was supposed to go. I thought about for quite awhile before it hit me. The sun!

                I had to think hard to remember what side of the house the sun rose on. It rose to the back of the house. I nodded to myself. I headed towards the sun since it was still morning. I soon reached the place I had stopped to rest after my run. I had run in the wrong direction. Hopefully, I wouldn’t run into Andy. I just hoped something horrible hadn’t happened to him. I didn’t want anyone to get in trouble for him because he couldn’t fend for himself. Maybe I should find him. No, if he didn’t know what to do, he can learn from this. There, problem solved. Around noon I found the lake. My mouth fell open. They took us pretty far. I sat down at the edge of the water. I was hungry and thirsty. I drank some water and rested for awhile.

                The bushes behind me rustled. My body froze. What was that? I heard it again. I got up so fast I was slightly dizzy. I tried to see what was in the bushes. They rustled again. Whatever it was, it was big. I freaked out and ran. I don’t think I had ever run this fast before, not even earlier today when I was trying to run into Andy. My heart was pounding both from fear and adrenaline. My ears were ringing so loud I couldn’t hear anything else. I was getting dizzy, so dizzy. I could barely even see where I was going. I didn’t have enough energy for this. My head turned to see if I was being chased. No one was following me; at least I didn’t think so. Unsure I kept running. Right as I turned my head to look in front me I ran into something hard. Something wrapped around my sweaty, exhausted body. I was too weak to pull away from whatever was holding me. It was dark and cool.

                “Marcie?”

                I knew that voice. It was familiar, friendly even. I was so dizzy I could feel my body sway. Who was holding me? Who was it?  I couldn’t think straight. “Dizzy.” I said so softly I could barely hear myself. And then everything went black.

---~<3~---

  Cliff hanger! :D Wooooo! No, I’m just kidding. It’s too short. Plus the next part would be short. Hehe aren’t you glad I interrupted that moment? I’m sure you are. Anyway… On with the story!

---~<3~---

***Andy P.O.V.***

                I was just worrying about Marcie. She ran off so fast. I wonder what that was about. Surely, she didn’t hate me that much? I hope not. I hope she hadn’t gotten hurt. Damn it, where was she? I had no idea how to get to grandparent’s house. I barely even remembered what their house looked like. Normally, I could’ve remembered exactly what the house looked like, but the only image I could pull into my mind was Marcie’s face. Why did I keep thinking about her? I’ve never been this way with a girl. I wonder how she felt about me. God, I hoped she was okay. I tried to stop thinking about her. I started singing mentally. Damn. That reminded me of her too. Like last night. She looked so-

                I was ripped from my thoughts when something crashed into me. I looked down. Marcie? My arms immediately wrapped around her. What happened to her? She was drenched in sweat and shaky. Something had scared her. I wonder if it had anything to do with what her grandmother was going to tell me this morning… Her body was swaying a little bit. She must be dizzy. What was I supposed to do about that? What could I do? A single word escaped her lips. I could barely hear it.           

                “Dizzy.” And then she collapsed. Thankfully, I caught her. Oh fuck! What do I do? She passed out in my arms, but she looked so peaceful, so innocent. No, I shook my head. You don’t have time to think about that Andy! Water, that’s it. Water would help. Right?

---~<3~---

  Ok, so I kind of exchanged one cliff hanger for another one. But I needed to squeeze in Andy’s P.O.V. Please vote! Or comment! Thanks for reading! Xoxo