Part I: The Mates

Prologue

            “Let’s break up,” I say the three words that I never want to hear coming from my own mouth. I take a deep breath and calm myself. I don’t want to crumble just yet, but it’s so hard especially I’m looking at him, while he has the most heartbreaking expression I have ever seen.

            “Scarlet, what do you mean?” He asks, shaking; afraid of what I just said.

            “I don’t want to be with you anymore,” I sneer, as my heart breaks slowly from the words that I spat. It’s not true though. I want to be with him so badly, that just a second away from him, I would hurt. But I have to do this, right? I have to, because I love him. I have to, because I want to protect him – no, I need to protect him.

            “You can’t be serious!” He growls, holding on tightly to the table he is sitting on.

            “I am, and I want whatever we have to be done with. I don’t love you anymore, Szari,” I cried. Lies! All lies! I shut my eyes close, and beg him to just accept that I want us to be over with.

            “I knew it,” he humorlessly laughs. “You really do love Raphael, even though he broke you to pieces already…”

            I gulp, opening my eyes. Maybe this is the way to make him want to leave me. “Yes, Szari… I love Raphael,” I lie. “So please… just… leave.”

            He stands up and almost falls. I want to help him, but I can’t. I don’t want to show something that would make him feel that I still love him. He has to leave. He has to!

            Slowly, he walks away as I watch his back. I feel like he took my heart with him, and I feel utterly hollow.

            Before he can exit the door, he turns to me and I see tears glistening in his eyes.

            “Scarlet, just remember that,” he pauses and smiles weakly at me. “I will always love you no matter what.” And with that he finally walks away, and at the same time… out of my life.

            I break down on my knees and cry my eyes out silently. It hurt so much, but I had to do it. I don’t want him to get hurt more because of me. I did say I would never give him up no matter what the situation, but this… this is different.

            Goddess, why me? I ask silently, hitting my chest with my fist again and again.

            I lost him…

            I lost the love who fixed me. Szari’s gone. 

_______________________________________________

A/N- Hello! :) this is the prologue or the preview of TCOAL. And this is PART ONE; since this book is divided to TWO. The first part is called THE MATES. I hope you guys have fun reading! :) Stay safe.