Chapter Forty-Seven

The Pegasus was equipped with just about everything needed for survival. Among the amenities were several small exploration pods – small crafts intended for crews of four to leave the mothership for various missions.

Alex raced through the large corridors of the ship, carrying the modified particle accelerator. It was heavy, but she had enough physical strength to handle the task. Along the way, she passed several onboard personnel, but none of them suspected her of doing anything nefarious. At the end of a long corridor was a sign displaying what she had been looking for. Based on the schematics she had committed to memory, it was right where it was supposed to be. She approached the heavy door marked EXPLORATION-POD DOCKING BAY.

The door slid open to reveal a massive hangar, housing several mini pods. There were a dozen to choose from, but Alex moved toward the first one on the right. The gullwing door was already open, allowing her to place the device inside the craft.

Behind her was a hissing sound created by the entrance door as it slid open. Her heart pounded with fear as she quickly turned around.

Archimedes and Maxim Morrison were standing in the doorway.

“Hold it right there,” Alex threatened. The two men did not want to underestimate what Alex was capable of, so they obliged.

“You don’t want to do this, Alex,” Maxim said, as he inched forward. “We know what you’re up to. Please don’t do it, you do not realize the full scope of your actions.”

“You’re going to lecture me about actions?” Alex scoffed. “Your actions throughout your life have been dismal at best. You experimented on your unborn child, abandoned your family, left the mother of your child to suffer in prison, and lied to the people about one of the greatest catastrophes in modern history. Instead of performing the necessary actions, you ran away like a selfish coward, leaving your people to die.”

“Alex, trust me, you are very confused right now and not thinking clearly. I know the crowd you’ve been associating with and I assure you they’ve contaminated your thoughts with misinformation.”

“Enlighten me then.”

“Listen, I know all about your plan, that little device you have.”

“You don’t have the mental capacity to even remotely understand this device.”

“I know it’s very dangerous. All I’m asking is that you give it to me before you hurt yourself and others.”

Agent Archimedes took another step closer. This time he subtly reached for his immobilizer baton that was attached to his hip, but it was not there.

“Looking for this?” Alex asked, as she held up the baton.

“I removed it from your belt when you were carrying me to the lab. I thought it might come in handy.”

“Alex, my dear…” Maxim spoke again. His only weapon was his words, his cunning and compelling words that had propelled him to the upper echelon of world leadership. “You know not what you do.”

“Oh great, a bible quote this time, do you have anything original to say or do you just like ripping people off?”

Maxim looked somewhat embarrassed. He was not used to hearing people speak to him like that, but he also never had a teenaged daughter in his life before.

“Whatever you’re attempting to do is noble, and I admire that, but you are young and lack the wisdom of life experience.”

“Yeah, I’ve heard that speech before,” she said as she recalled what Agent Archimedes had said to her. “Yet here I am. I outsmarted both of you and I’m only eighteen. Either life experience is overrated, or I have an adequate amount.”

“Why didn’t you just come to me? I am a very powerful man with lots of resources,” he said as he inched forward.

“Correction, you were a powerful man. Now the only resources you have are on board this ship.”

“No, you are mistaken. Everything I’ve said is true. I am going on an important mission to rid the planet of its plague.”

“The only plague you’ve rid the planet from is your tyranny.”

“Look, Alex, you have trust issues, I get that, but you are with me now. Please let me in,” he said as he took another step.

“I would like so much to believe you right now, I really would, but I can’t take that chance. Too many lives are depending on me,” Alex said.

By now Maxim Morrison and Agent Archimedes were both near enough to make their move. As soon as Agent Archimedes lunged forward, Alex blasted him with the immobilizer baton, causing his body to stiffen up and collapse onto the floor. Maxim stood frozen, even though Alex had yet to blast him.

“Don’t make me use this on you too,” she threatened. “Now, get back.”

Maxim followed her instructions and slowly backed up toward the door. When he reached the door, it slid open and two ten-foot tall RT 2100s stepped into the room with their guns drawn. As they manoeuvered into position, their mechanical limbs made hydraulic sounds and their heavy steps clinked on the metal floor.

“Alex, we can talk about this, or—”

“Or what? You’re going to kill me? Something tells me you don’t have the courage to do that. The time for talking is done, now it’s time for action. I’m going to do what you could not. I’m going to save the planet.”

As Alex boarded the exploration pod, Agent Archimedes struggled to lift his arm. His weak grip wrapped around Alex’s ankle, but she yanked it free with ease and stepped into the pod. With a simple voice command, the gullwing door clamped shut, sealing her in. From the window, she gave one last look to her dad, and then waved goodbye.