≑ Chapter Ten

To claudieeeee (claudia) for being one of my avid readers.  <3

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁

 C H A P T E R    T E N 

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁

CALLIE

Too many people.

Still a few meters away from the school, humans were already flooding in and out of the entrance. Vehicles, from plain to printed, from old to sparkling new, beeped their ways through the enormous sea of navy blue sweatshirts, coats and pants.

Some students were running, bags bouncing on their shoulders, while trying to wear in vain their striped blue-and-silver neckties. Some were leaning on the walls or looking at a tiny gadget on their hands, probably waiting for someone to arrive. I noticed their heads lifting up with their curious eyes following me as I passed them to enter the school premises.

Stepping in at the huge courtyard, I felt like I was amidst a celebration as I breathed in the ecstatic crowd around. It was a lot different from what I'd seen last time I came to school. The once deserted, noiseless ground was now filled with students continuously talking like there was no tomorrow.

I slowly traversed my way through, contemplating the scene around. On one side, the cars were all parked at the far end of the yard while on the other, tables and benches were standing on a huge grassbed. People were either sitting comfortably and eating or, like me, they were watching the morning mass of students.

On one of the benches, I spotted a familiar face settled alone with a tray of food on her side. As I walked towards her, I had an odd feeling that everyone's surreptitiously observing me. I silently wished that the sleeve of my coat was not accidentally yanked up and showed the bracelet on my wrist. Because if it did, then it was clear why I had the crowd's attention.

When I was only a couple of steps from the plump, fuzzy-haired girl, I composed myself and greeted her, "Hi!"

The girl jumped in surprise, almost dropping the powdery bread in her hand. She stared at me with wide eyes for a moment before swallowing the huge chunk of food on her mouth. "H-hey! What are you doing here?"

 "Jill, right?" I asked, recalling the name she said when she drew me a map the other day. After she nodded, I motioned to the small space beside her, "Can I sit with you?"

"Of course but..." she said then hesitated for a split-second before speaking again.  "But aren't you supposed to be with Isaiah?"

"I haven't seen him."

"O-okay," she muttered and when she realized I was still standing, she grabbed her tray and offered the spot next to her.

I dropped my heavy bagpack to the bench before sitting. She eyed it but kept whatever thoughts on her mind. She just looked at my uniform and a perplexed expression went on her face.   

"Your tie," she said and pointed at my chaotic knot--- if you could even call it a 'knot'.

I smiled, embarrassed. "I don't really know how to wear it properly. This thing's a bit complicated," I mumbled, taking note inside my head to ask Mommy Wil to teach me how to do it.

She shook her head. "I mean, you haven't given it to Isaiah? He's your boyfriend, right?" She must have seen the confusion in my eyes for she rapidly wave her hand in dismissal. "Don't try to cover it. Everyone knows already."