Chapter 14 Black Mail (Red POV)

Chapter 14

Black Mail

~Red

I pretended to be asleep when he came back in. Half one. He had been with Strings for so long. Probably nothing- or that’s what I kept telling myself. I knew Strings wasn’t gay, but just the thought of him being a closer friend than me… I was jealous. But hey, I was the one sharing a room with him wasn’t I? He always got changed in the toilets though; he was more self-conscious than me.

‘What did Strings want last night?’ I asked, zipping up my trousers just as Chris walked out from the bathroom.

He shrugged, ‘Just hanging, y’know?’

‘Hanging? Just the two of you?’ Jealousy at 78%

‘Well yeah… It was kinda a… brotherly heart to heart thing.’

‘Cool.’ Jealousy at 86%

‘Y’know, I actually feel… I’m beginning to understand Strings a bit better.’

‘Oh, really?’ Better how? Jealousy now at 91%

‘Yeah, well he’s my friend and everything and I love him,’ Jealousy at 96% ‘but I always thought the guy was a bit of an asshole.’ Jealousy at 82% ‘A talented loveable asshole.’ Jealousy at 98% ‘But an asshole all the same.’ Jealousy at 90% ‘But now I see him as much more than that.’ Jealousy at 95% ‘Now I see him as a really wonderful guy, y’know?’ Jealousy at 100%

‘You sound like you have a crush on him.’ I wasn’t joking but he laughed.

‘Yeah, liked I’d swing that way.’ Ouch. ‘And even if I did I don’t think of him like that…’ He trailed of and just gazed at the kitchen bunker. I dunno what he was thinking about but it made me nervous.

‘We should get going.’ I said.

We were given a room in a nearby studio to practice in, and then we’d get one rehearsal on stage just before our final gig. I wasn’t nervous at all about it, really. I guess with Hero around my neck and Anna Molly in my arms, I didn’t think anything could go wrong.

Chris pushed the door open, ‘Hey guys sorry we’re-‘

We froze and let the door slam behind us. Drummer sat back on his stool calmly watching Sailor and Strings in the middle of the room. Their lips were locked. Strings’s face was completely tense but Sailor was completely comfortable with it like he did it all the time, which now I wouldn’t be surprised, if he did.

Chris put a hand over his face and shook his head. ‘Eight minutes.’ Drummer announced.

‘I can do this!’ I think I heard Strings say into Sailor’s mouth.

Sailor grinned and placed his hands on Strings’s hips. Oh God, I can’t believe what I’m seeing. He began sliding his hands up his top.

‘OKAY! TOO FAR!’ Strings yelled and pushed him back.

‘You were enjoying it.’ Sailor winked teasingly, ‘Oh well, I’m still King of Gay Chicken.’

This was just typical. In a band full of gay guys, I had to fall for the straight one.

<><><><><>

It was difficult; we had to come up with new material. We were to play six songs each. One cover, two already played original and three fresh ones. After an hour and a half of trying to come to a decision we decided our two already played ones would be Star Struck and Glitch. Our cover would be New Radical’s You Only Get What You Give. Sailor said for our three new songs one should be sad, one should be angry, one should be upbeat and happy this way we have a wider range of music. Drummer one should be about love at least. Strings said it’d be a good idea to have rap in it "mix it up a little" and that should be the angry song.