Twenty-Three | White Punches

23

Eric's POV

I stalked through the forest my breathing now hard. Stopping in my tracks I impulsively slammed my fist into the trunk of a random and innocent tree. Watching as my fist pulled back with the knuckles split. A trickle of blood start to fall from the wound but I could already feel the skin healing. It would be gone within a few moments.

The thought only angered me more.

Turning around sharply I punched another tree with my other hand, feeling the harsh sensation of pain through my arm. Pulling it back again to see it looked exactly like it's other I clenched them. Watching them turn white with pressure.

This was not how I thought I'd end up after finding my mate. I had expected a warm embrace, an instant connection. A completeness that my wolf craved. My mother had told me stories about the fairytale meeting of a couple, their first touch triggering an instantaneous bond. Their wolves becoming one soul as they were destined to.

Instead here I was, punching trees as a way to express my unnerving and confused emotions. I had just found my mate and none of those things happened. She had pushed me back and refused the connection. By passing it as a sort of joke that I played on her. She was human for God's sake. She had no clue about my life. About the life she was meant to be in, but she could never be. She was an odd case in her family. Most likely the first child of a werewolf family to not come out as one of them.

My goodness she was really a human. But all the signs were there. The sudden sparks of electricity when I first touched her accidently at the supermarket. The way my wolf always seemed to stir when I was near her. The want to always be by her side, despite my refusal. She had intrigued my wolf and I from the start. Heck I hadn't touched another female since I saw her. It was crazy.

She couldn't possibly be my mate, could she? She was human after all. Mates only happened to us werewolves, not to humans. Our wolves destined to roam the earth until their found their other half. Never has there been an alpha and human mate. It was impossible. It wouldn't work out. Their incompatible personalities and abilities. It just wasn't meant to be. It would end in disaster.

Yet as I watched her walk into her house without so much as a second glance I couldn't help but feel the pull. It would only get worse; I knew from my mother. She had put out to my father for quite some time to infuriate him over a petty argument they had before they found out they were mates. It only lasted a few months until the pull was unbearable and they fell into each other completely. Charlie couldn't be the one.

Yet she was.

Resisting the urge to punch another by standing tree, let myself shift. Enjoying the now familiar feeling of my skin rippling under the pressure of my wolf sprouting out. The transformation at first was one of the most painful things that can happen to a new pup. In order for you to finally express the other side of you every bone you had had to snap and form into the interior structure of a wolf. Most passed out from the pain. It was expected, but I hadn't. Somehow I stayed awake to experience the whole ordeal.

Now, years after my first transformation I felt nothing. It felt as if you were free falling before landing on all four paws. It was a joyous feeling. Looking at my surroundings with heightened vision I sprang into action. My direction was unclear as the feelings of frustration drove me to run amuck.

Laying under a tree- that I had back kicked in my large form, I had let myself calm down. Trying to forget the whole dilemma of my possible mate. A flash of black caught at the corner of my eye. Snapping my head to the place that I saw it I saw nothing. Just the brown and green of plants. Laying my head back down I saw it again. This time it was definitely something. It could have been a rogue. Considering what our pack discovered last week. A group of rogue's mercy killed on our lands.