Chapter Twenty: A Warning?

GUYS! GUYS! GUYS! I want to try something! I want you ALL to comment for your team: Team Ricky, Team Nate, or Team James. I want to know who your favorite guy is. :P And maybe it could effect the outcome of this book!

And no…Team Charlie does not count! :D

            My insides were sizzling with energy. I, Emma Lucille Hark, had a boyfriend! The impossible had just become possible! I waved exuberantly at James as he pulled out of the driveway. We’d spent the whole Saturday together: watching TV, dancing to LMFAO (even though I don’t enjoy their music), and posting cute messages on Facebook to each other until people commented telling us to stop. It was so much fun to be with James. He wasn’t afraid to flaunt our relationship to the public, whereas Ricky didn’t even want people to know that I was his new sister.

            And speaking of Ricky, he’d been cooped up in his room all day, only coming downstairs once to bark at us to turn down the blaring music. But he didn’t damper my mood. I felt invincible!

            When I could no longer see James’ car, I charged up the stairs, taking two at a time. I raced to my room, shut the door, and quickly logged in to Tumblr. I needed to alert the media of my new relationship!

Subject: Finally I get to change my relationship status on Facebook!

Body: My dear Tumblies, I have news! I, emma-loves-you, have found a boyfriend! No, it’s not Nathan. No, it’s not Ricky (thank GOD!). It’s JAMES! Our date went really well and we hit it off. We’re like, a match made in heaven. I will tell you how it goes! But don’t expect me to update too soon, as I’ve gotten busy with life and stuff. I finally got one!

Love, Em!

            I posted the new entry and sat back, thinking about today. It was so surreal that I was capable of catching a guy. James had said that he was in love with me. But did he really know what love was? I sure as hell didn’t. I’d just have to trust what all the romance novels and pop songs had to say about it.

            I refreshed the page and a note popped up on my screen.

            It was from “sensitive-in-secret”, who wrote:

Why did you pick James? Message me on AIM at: sensitive-in-secret. I’ll be online.

             So the stalker wanted to talk, huh? No way! What if they sent me nude pictures and bugged up my brand new computer?! I was not going to let anything hurt my baby laptop. But then again, I might find out who this “sensitive-in-secret” person was…

            I opened up a new IM box and quickly typed a message.

Emmaboo: who r u and wat do u want?

            I waited patiently for a reply.

Sensitive-in-secret: I’m not going 2 tell u my name b/c u will know who I am.

Emmaboo: whatever, I don’t care. But wat do u want?

Sensitive-in-secret: I just want u 2 make sure u r making the right choice here. I know who James is. I go 2 ur school. He’s not a good person.

            Okay, now I was pissed off. Who did this person think they were? Just because they went to my school, didn’t mean they could tell me whom to date! I knew just what to do. Two words would suffice…

Emmaboo: Fuck off.

            I signed off, leaving it at that. They wouldn’t bug me any longer. And what was with all this “James is evil” crap? Was it because he was a senior and I was a sophomore? I simply shrugged it off and left my desk, wandering over to my bedside table. I reached down and rummaged through my clutter, searching for my hidden diary.

            “Huh,” I said aloud. “That’s strange.”

            The regular place where I hid my diary looked different. I usually placed the journal underneath my tampon and medicine stash, knowing that no one would go near that. But it was placed on top, instead. Maybe I’d moved it last night when I’d written in it. Yeah, that had to be it. I was just extremely tired and wasn’t careful when I’d put it away.

            I picked up a pen and before I was about to write, I heard a knock at my door.

            “What is it?” I asked, slightly irritated. Why did everyone have to knock on my door?

            “Uh, it’s me…Ricky,” came his voice as the door creaked open.

            My mouth dropped into a scowl. “Oh. What do you want?”

            He exhaled loudly and walked over to me. I quickly shoved my journal into my cabinet and stood up. Ricky hunched over in a pitiful way.

            “I came to say…” his voice trailed off.

            “What? I can’t hear you.”

            “I said I’m sorry,” Ricky said, louder this time. “I’m sorry I said that about your mom. I was…out of place.”

            Even though he wouldn’t meet my eyes, I could hear the truth in his words.

            “Apology accepted,” I muttered, stepping forward to give him a pat on the back.

            Ricky grabbed my hand suddenly, pulling me into an embrace. It was awkward at first, with Ricky’s alien arms wrapped around me. He rested them on the small of back; the same place James put his. I felt like I was doing something wrong when I felt a shot of contentment fill me, but I hugged him back, letting his body heat warm me.

            “Is it true?” he said into my hair. “Is it true you’re dating James now?”

            “Yes,” I tensed, preparing for his reaction.

            I heard his soft laugh and pulled away, confused.

            “What?” I asked.

            “I just can’t believe Princess finally got a boy-toy,” Ricky teased. “Who knew you had it in ya?”

            “Shut up!” I grinned, giving him a playful punch on the arm.

            “Well, have fun with him.”

            “Will do, Tricky.”

            “Hey!” Ricky laughed. “I thought I told you not to call me that!”

            “As long as I’m Princess, you’re going to be Tricky,” I smiled.

            “Whatever.”

            It looked like things were all sewn back together between the two of us. It’s not like I could ever hate my perverted, rude, arrogant, blunt brother, right?

Short chapter, I know. The next will be longer, I promise! This was just a bit of ‘filler’ chapter, if you know what I mean. [: THANKS EVERYONE AND DON’T FORGET TO COMMENT!

PS: I'm going to try and update every other day! YAY! Holidays and weekends are the exceptions, though.