Vanguard of Man

Vanguard of Man 

The Worlds of Man Book 3 

 By JD Lovil 

Copyright © 2013 J D Lovil 

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED 

History of Vanguard 

2018..... Global economic collapse. Reforming of USA, Canada and Mexico into the Transamerican Union.  

2022....Dozens of simultaneous volcanic eruptions and earthquakes worldwide. 

2025.....Rapid global cooling from Volcanic shielding ends the Holocene interglacial. Icecaps have expanded rapidly down to the 36 degree North Latitude. Food production and transportation has broken down, with millions of refugees fleeing into Southern Mexico and (illegally) into Central and South America. 

2029....Most surviving species of animals have been hunted into extinction by the starving majority. A Technogang has invaded Northern Brazil, and established a preservation station. 

2041.....Earth Ark Union has established cryogenic sleep chambers for millions of doomed refugees, working in nanotechnology and various sciences for the express purpose of finding new homes for the displaced. 

2066......First Vanguard created by use of a combination of transfer viruses and Nanotech monitors. Volunteers from the terminally ill, the first 14 died during the process, the next 31 produced 7 survivors. Eric was volunteer number 46. 

2069.....Production of the Vanguard switched to lab birth, called New Borns in the program. There are 51 surviving members of the Vanguard Elders. 

2071..... Last of the New Born decanted. Total of 218 survivors at adulthood. 

2087.....Vanguard Fleet completed. Five massive Ram-scoop Core Ships assembled in Earth Orbit From nano-mining of the asteroid belt. 266 surviving Vanguards distributed 50 per ship, with 16 as caretakers of the sleeping. 

2093....Vanguard Ark ship Relentless embarks on first leg of voyage destination Alpha Centauri. 

2179....Arrival at Alpha Centauri A. Discovery of a lethal jungle planet at Alpha Centauri A-b, an earth analogue planet unofficially named Jungle. Established Colony Hardship at the South Polar Continent. 

2180....Relentless breaks orbit for destination Barnard's Star. 

2310....Arrival Barnard's Star system. Discover massive ruins of an extinct species (species #1001, Isotech class) at Barnard's Star, on closest orbiting planet named by crew Graveyard. Established science colony Desolation on planet Graveyard.  

2311.... Relentless breaks orbit for destination Ross 154. 

2422.....Arrival Ross 154. Encountered Enloi (species #1002, Gaian class) spores at Ross 154. Destroyed infestation at cost of planet 4. 

2422,,,, Relentless breaks orbit for destination AX Microscopii. 

2570.....Arrival AX Microscopii. Cloud of close orbiting asteroids and small planetoids. Mining for materials, planted colony inside asteroid Gibraltar. light atmosphere. Artifact discovered. Assumed species #1003, Isotech spacefaring class. 

2573..... Relentless breaks orbit for destination Epsilon Indi. New fleet of six Plasma drive Explorer ships launched in dispersal pattern, one for earth system. 

2659.....Arrival Epsilon Indi. Orange star suitable colony planet fifth planet with life called Prairie. Establish colony New Omaha, encounter and defeat machine fleet (Species #1004, Mechform class) attack.