Ch.1

Ruxin Novak

I watch as she stands, silently listening to the multitude of conversations going on around her. I could tell she was listening intently, though to everyone else she appeared bored. Yes, she's a smart one, listening in on details of mergers and other business deals. Intrigued, I wonder what she does for a living. She doesn't have the appearance of a cold, cut-throat business woman. She was beautiful, stunning really, but her minimal makeup and un-styled hair caused her to stand out from the masses of tailored suits and top-knots that surrounded her. You could tell that she didn't want to draw attention to herself, preferring to be looked over like a fixture in the room rather than stand out.

I see a long-time friend, Brennan Fisher, stop in mid walk to turn and check her out. He doesn't bother to hide his interest, which is quite unusual for him. Normally, he maintains more control and tact than that. I smirk when she doesn't notice his attention. He is not the first man here to try and engage her in conversation, all of them were swept away by one of two women, who I am certain accompanied her to the event. My smirk broadens when I see that this time is no different. Brennan is intercepted by Cindy Prescott, a leech in this sea of eligible men, just like her mother. I hate leeches and Cindy Prescott is one of the worst. Brennan tries to remove her from his arm as she directs him to the bar, his frustration obvious when he can't shake her. I would pity him if he wasn't after the object of my intrigue. I don't understand how she came to be acquainted with the likes of Susan and Cindy Prescott. I've known William Prescott and his wife and daughter for years, but have never seen this angel before. Perhaps she is of distant relation.

It is not long before Josh Augustine stops in front of her, gaining her attention. I see her smile cordially at him, but before he can introduce himself Susan Prescott is dragging him away, insisting he introduce her to some business executive. Josh smiles at Susan, giving in and allowing himself to be pulled away. Surprisingly, the woman isn't at all bothered that Susan stole Josh away, if anything she seems relieved. How fascinating. This woman has had two very desirable heirs approach her, and she couldn't care less. So, why is she here? I begin to approach her, now that the two women are distracted by Brennan and Josh. She lifts her head slightly and I assess her appearance as I near her. Her long blonde hair is straight, with a little wave to it. Her skin is lightly tanned but not from a tanning bed. She likes the outdoors? Perhaps she is a tomboy. I lower my gaze to her supple figure and simple pink dress and immediately readjust my assessment of her. She may be a runner, but there is no way the soft pink of her dress would be worn by a tomboy. She is sweet and innocent, she has no idea who these men are.

"Hello." I say in greeting, gaining her attention. Her head snaps to me in surprise, it is obvious she didn't notice my approach. "Hello." She replies, politely.

"I have to ask, why are you here?"

"Excuse me?" She asks, confused by my blunt question and maybe even a bit insulted.

"You're not like these other women, attaching themselves to anyone worth more than eight figures. So, why are you here?" I restate my question.

"Is that what they're doing?" She asks incredulously, looking around as if she has finally solved a riddle.

"Yes, and you're here because?" I ask again.

"My father asked me to come." She answers finally.

"Your father?"

"William Prescott."

"I wasn't aware that William had two daughters." I reply, surprised.

She nods her head knowingly, but doesn't elaborate any further. I feel a tap on my shoulder and turn to Brennan who still has Cindy clutching to his arm. "Ruxin, who is your beautiful friend?"