Turning Down Dates

Hallway

Freshman Year

Three days before my birthday

“I was… I was…”  I watched Peter Zonokkis stammer in front of me.

Because he was taking so much time saying what he wanted to say, it gave me more time to study him, up close.

He was wearing khaki pants, his shirt buttoned all the way up to his neck.  He was wearing glasses.

Peter was one of the smartest kids in school.  He was regarded as a geek most of the time.  And it kills me to hear him stammer in front of me, knowing fully well what he was going to ask me, and knowing fully well too what my answer will be.

“So?  Will you?”  He asked me.

I blinked back at him.  Did he already ask me something?

“Sorry, Pete.”  I’m not really going to ask him to repeat himself, am I?  “I’m not allowed to date… yet.”  I said.  I hope I was right in thinking he was going to ask me out.

His mouth formed an ‘O’.  “But… aren’t you fifteen already?”

I shook my head.  “Not yet.  I’m three days shy.”

“Some… some girls start dating earlier than fifteen.”

I shrugged.  “Not my parents.”  I lied.  Actually I don’t think my parents care if I get pregnant now!

“Alright.  Maybe I’ll ask you next week?”

I shook my head.  “Well… I’m not sure.  I’m not in a hurry.  Maybe much later.”

He smiled at me.  “Alright.  Well, see you around.”

I nodded.  I turned around towards the exit.

“I hope you’re not just letting him down easy.”  A male’s voice said behind me.

I turned around to find Allan Gilmore walking behind me.

I raised a brow at him.  Allan was two years my senior.  He is captain of the debate team.  Very smart, and very cute.

“No.  That’s the truth actually.”  I said.

“How can a gorgeous girl like you not be allowed to date at this age?”

I shrugged.  “I’ll ask my parents when I see them.”  I said sarcastically.

He smiled.  “So, if I ask you out, I’d probably get the same answer?”

“Yes.”

“Why?  Because I’m not your type?”  He asked wistfully.