23. You Gain Some, You Lose Some

Chapter Twenty-three ~ You gain some, you lose some

Our PE class was dismissed fifteen minutes early as usual and I decided to do another few laps; I'd been slacking ever since Ashley passed and one thing on top of another built up and I hadn't kept up to shape as often as I used to so I took this as a way of starting up my fitness again.

"Hey, Taz, come join us for a bit," Jack shouted as I ran past him, Andrew, Jay and Chelsea who sat in the training cage not too far from the running tracks as usual after every PE lesson on a wednesday.

I glanced once towards Jay and replied back to Jack, "No thanks." I huffed a heavy breath.

"Oh come on!" I saw that Jack stood up through my peripheral vision as he spoke.

The next thing I knew, I was tackled to the floor from the back... yet again!

"Get off me!" I kicked and shrugged under their weight.

"Only if you agree to stick around for a bit," Jack whispered into my ear.

"Are you trying to kill me?"

"Nope, just say you'll hang here with us for ten minutes please." His breath tickled my ear.

"OK OK, just get off me!"

He rolled off me to the right and I faced him, remaining on the ground. He was smirking.

"What's the deal?" I frowned at him.

"Nothing." He continued to smile.

"Stop smiling or I'll slap it off,"I joked. I groaned, "do I have to stay? Jay's there and Chelsea isn't exactly a fan of mine anymore."

"Chelsea is just being an idiot. We all know that what happened to Ashley is none of your fault. She'll warm up to you again. And this Jay thing, what's up with that?" We both sat up at this point.

"I don't know. Ask him." Jack stood up and offered me a hand to help me up. "Thanks."

We began walking towards the others, Jay's eyes fixed on me. What's up with him? Not that I care.

"Oh c'mon, one second you two were best friends and it seemed that nothing could break your friendship and the next, neither of you two are talking. Don't think noone else's noticed."

"I'd be surprised if one person in this school hadn't noticed that. One second I was popular, the next everyone hates me." I screwed at the ground until we approached the others. Chelsea slid further to the left, away from me as I took the space between her and Andrew. Jack sat opposite me, resuming his seat between Jay and Andrew.

"Hey," Andrew greeted. "Have you realised your elbows are bleeding?"

As if by magic, my elbows began stinging the moment I glanced at them.

"It's their fault for attacking me and pushing me over!" I moaned, referring to Jack and Jay. "I wasn't even jogging fast when Jack tackled me onto the ground. He could have easily caught up!"

"True," Andrew responded, staring up at the sky. "Looks like it's about to rain."

"Oh no, I don't want to get wet, let's head in," Chelsea squealed, covering her head with her hands as if it was already raining.

"Oh, don't mind me. I just got attacked to the ground for no reason at all," I mumbled as we all stood up.

"Don't worry, I'll make it up to you," Jack laughed as if it was a joke. Before Jack and I turned towards the changing rooms and began to walk out of the cage, I noticed Jay give him some sort of look. The others followed us.