Chapter 32

I woke in Thomas' arms, smiling at the memory of the previous night.  We never did make love.  It wasn't because I had frozen up, more because my stitches were strained and we weren't exactly alone in that house.  Tom had been understanding and we indulged in a bit more than kissing but resolved that waiting for the grand finale to take place when we were both healthy and at home.  Everywhere his hands touched had tingled.  It had been a phenomenal taste of what was to come and if sessions like that were to become a regular staple in our future, I wasn't sure how long either of us would last.

"Good morning, beautiful," Tom whispered into my hair.  I tilted my head up and met him half-way for a kiss.  It wasn't until I felt the warm calloused hand rubbing up my back that I realized that I was in nothing but my bra and underwear.  I pulled away and blushed.

"So it wasn't a dream?" I said.

"What?"

"This," I said and kissed his chest.

"Oh," he said with his deep baritone voice.  "It was all real."  He smiled.

"Can't we just stay here?" I whined.

"You don't want to go back?"

"I do but," I paused.

"But it means going back to reality?"

"You've got it."

"I suppose another half hour will be just fine."  He smirked and proceeded to roll me to my back and nibbled on my lower lip.  I moaned and let him in as I wrapped my arms around his neck, keeping his head anchored for my rapture.  His kisses were addictive and I couldn't have enough.  Truth was I doubted that I'd ever have enough of Thomas Clarke.

A few hours later, we bid Marie goodbye and jumped in the truck to head home.  I wasn't sure if it was the fact that I didn't really want our little getaway to end but the two-hour drive back went by too quick for my own liking.  As much as I loved the ranch, it now also signified reality and our reality as it was wasn't the brightest.

"Home, sweet home," Thomas said as he unlocked the house for us and let me through the threshold first.

I dropped my bag at the bottom of the stairwell.  My arms crossed over my chest, I rubbed my upper arms to keep the ominous chill that had formed at the bottom of my spine.  I felt as though I was being watched again.  The frosty feeling in my veins eased a bit when I heard Thomas flip the deadbolt to the door and hit the code to arm the house.  He knew.  Within seconds, I felt his arms around me.

"You're worried aren't you?"

"I can't help it."

"I know.  I was thinking-"

I shifted so I faced him.  "About?"

Before he could answer, the house phone began to ring.  "Hold that thought."  He smiled and hurried to the living room to fetch the cordless.  "Hello?"

I had never seen someone lose their color so quick.  Thomas dropped to the couch and next thing I knew, he had pressed the speaker button.

"Go on," he said with a weakened tone.

"Hi, baby, miss me?"  I heard and I had to brace myself on the framework to the entrance to the living room.  "I guess that's a no," he said with a mocked tone of disappointment when I didn't answer.  "How was the trip guys, did Mom scold you for being with her son when you're married to another?"

"I guess you didn't catch the memo," I hissed through clenched teeth, "we're divorced."

"You're such a lying bitch.  Tell me, T, does she lie to you as often as she lies to me?  Or do you guys even talk?  I bet you've been too busy playing jack rabbits, am I right?"

"Shut up, you bastard!" Thomas blurted out.

"Seems like I've touched a nerve.  I guess she's not putting out, huh?  What do you say we get back to business, shall we?"

"We have nothing to discuss," I told him.

"Au contraire ma chère," he said in a singsong fashion.  "We have a lot to discuss.  For instance, how long have you been fucking my best friend?"

"That's not up for discussion," I told him.

"Oh, but it is, baby.  Tell me, on those nights where I left you alone and Thomas dropped by, did he make you scream his name?  I've heard you whispering his name in your sleep, you know."  Thomas looked at me and I shook my head, not knowing where this information was coming from.

I don't know what he's talking about, I mouthed to him so only he could hear.

It was true that in the past, Thomas and I had spent some time alone together while Dominic was at work but it had never been sexual, not even in the slightest.  We were friends and that's all it ever was seeing as I was devoted to my husband.  That was before we were married and before he left for the mission that changed it all.  Where he got that Thomas and I had been together over the last four years, I couldn't figure out.  What was the use since his mind was clearly more corrupted than any of us had previously anticipated.

"Dominic, I'm not sure how you've come up with these accusations but you know that I haven't set foot in this country in over three years," Thomas said.

"Shut up, T.  You know as well as I do that we're pros at disappearing.  We were trained by the best.  What I find curious is that you still haven't managed to find me."  Dominic laughed.  "Well, I'd like to say it's been nice but frankly, it'll be nice when we see each other face-to-face again.  See you soon."

The phone line went dead.

Hanging up on our end, I turned to Thomas.  "He's coming for us, isn't he?"  I found myself asking.

"I think he's already here."

I think you're right.