Part 16 - Meteor Showers and Light

Magsimula sa umpisa

****Chance's POV***

I held on her waist, making sure she doesn't leave. I stared at her face sideways, her red lips agape, her eyes wide, staring above. I looked up, just noticing the 'falling stars' or meteor showers, more appropriately called. I looked back down at her, both of us bobbing up and down the water. When a wind swept across, she shivered a little, but she didn't look away from the sky.

Her fascination in things like these remind me so much of how she resembles a child, fascinated by every small thing in the world. But that's not the case. Only nature can astound her, the simplest things in it, that is. I frowned as I remembered Seth holding her, being beside her when I couldn't. The forced silence earlier was so toxic, so poisoning. That's what I'd describe it.

When the sky settled down, I'm not sure how long the meteor shower lasted, she turned in my arms and stared at me. I had arranged for all the torches and candle lights here, knowing she'd swim out at night by this time. I also made sure to remind her guards, making sure she was safe. She could've drowned without us knowing. That thought made my stomach churn. I sucked in a deep breath and stared back at her glistening hazel eyes.

Then, she abruptly hugged me, putting her arms around my neck. I opened my mouth a little, surprised, but this is her way of saying she's over it. A sad smile formed on my face, and I hugged her back, my arms holding her in front of me as we bobbed in the water.

"I wanted to talk it out, but I didn't really know how to react, C," she whispered in my ear, sounding like a little child.

I frowned.

"You had every right to get mad, Nie. I was stupid. I broke my promise, and I hate myself for hurting you," I whispered in her ear as I felt her play with her hands.

I chuckled humorlessly.

"Seeing you with Seth made me realize how great I am to have had you in my life, and I just went up and broke a promise. And you trusted me," I said, shaking my head that was on her shoulder.

She didn't answer, she just tightened her hold and sighed.

"So, are you going to explain the Amanda thing to me, or are you going to keep it in the dark?" she asked, her voice so small.

I stiffened. I didn't think she'd ask it openly. She's not the type of person who likes to talk about these things, especially not confrontations or about other people. If she likes the person, she can discuss it, but if she despises the person, she hates talking about it. It makes her feel bad, I guess.

She felt me stiffen and huffed. She slowly untangled from me and looked up at the sky, the moon reflecting in her eyes. Her brown hair looked dark, and water sparkled on her skin with a light orange glow from the fire around us.

"I don't know what to tell you, Nie. Not now," I said, staring at the dark forest.

I couldn't tell her what she wanted to know.

"Then when? When you get married? When you get her pregnant? When you ditch me for her whenever she wants? When you break another promise because of her?" she said, her tone sounding more disappointed than angry.

I flinched at her words.

"When she finally tells you to have nothing to do with me?" she said, her voice cracking.

My head snapped at her, and she was looking at me. I stared back at her eyes, disbelief growing inside me.

"I would not let anything stand in between us, Nie. Never. No matter what she is to me, you are my best friend. She's some girl, she's not you," I said, trying to assure but not give anything more away.

She snorted.

"If she's some girl, then why the flip did you break a promise? If she's some girl, why were you so careless? If she's some girl, and I'm your best friend, then why won't you tell me what she is to you?" she said, her voice rising, confusion in her eyes.

"I can't," I said, tearing my gaze from her, shifting it to the trees.

She scoffed.

"You can't, or you won't?" she said, paddling her feet underneath, making the water move.

I looked back at her, my anger for the situation softening.

"I hate this, Nie. I want this to go away as much as you do. But, please, trust me this time. I have my reasons, and I don't wanna lose you in the process," I said, a sad smile on my face.

She squeezed her eyes shut and tapped her nose, opened them and glared at me.

"Trust you? I wouldn't let anything close to losing you happen, I would never. If you thought about it, this is the only remotely close reason for losing each other. You seriously thought I'd let anything get in-between our friendship?" she asked, still glaring at me.

Her faces was reddening, and I squeezed my eyes shut and opened them. I had nothing to say to that.

"Do you even like her?" she asked, her eyes intense, darkening in the process.

"No," I said, knowing she'd still see through my lie if I said yes.

She growled.

"Then you're stringing her along? Playing with her? You?" she said, her tone disapproving.

In a way, I was, but she had asked for it.

"Kind of," I said, feeling like a moron.

She shook her head and backed away a little. I moved forward and caught her arm.

"Please, Annie. Just say we're fine, and I'll find ways around all this, please," I said, staring into her eyes, asking her to believe me.

"Really? Why don't you just cut it out then? Why don't you just leave her the head alone?"

I kept quiet, letting her think for a second, trying to get her to say everything on her mind.

"When we were little, we promised we'd tell each other everything, share everything, experience everything together as much as we could. I let go of my dream for acting, knowing you couldn't be there with me. I didn't open up to anyone, knowing I'd always have you there. I never need to say much to get you to understand, knowing you would. I understood everything you did, knowing it was for the best most of the time. But, I can never understand how playing with people is right, even if they might deserve it. I don't understand how this kind of lie could be good. I don't understand why people are so ignorant to neglect their studies. I don't understand why people are so stupid to get into meaningless relationships. Wait, scratch those I don't understands, I do understand their reasons with themselves, but it doesn't mean they're valid in the real world. And I don't think your reasons are valid either," she said, making my heart feel heavy.

"But, you know what?" she said and chuckled humorlessly, her eyes hard.

I simply blinked.

"No matter what, I know I'd forgive you. Even when you do things I disapprove of, I'd forgive you before you did anything. Sure, I'd be mad, disappointed maybe and a little disbelieving, but I would still forgive you. No matter what happens, I'd believe you in a heartbeat, even when I wish I wouldn't. When you said you had your reasons, I believed you, but my mind was programmed well. It told me not to, but in my heart, I still believe you. But that doesn't mean I'll listen to it. It wants to believe for the better; it wants to be optimistic. But my head is more grounded, and it actually tells me what really is happening. I've known you my whole life, ever since I was born. I know you more than I know anyone else in the world, including myself. But, I guess, something's off about all this, and as stubborn as I am, I know I can be right at these times. And I won't let my heart dictate me on what to do. It's in the clouds, it loves believing what I wish were true, but they aren't all real," she said, her eyes softening.

She bit her bottom lip, looking up at me.

"I sound like a drama queen, I know. I'm making a mole hill into a mountain, but can you blame me? I rarely get hurt in this way, I'm rarely betrayed since I rarely trust. How else should I act? Like I'm used to it? Because I'm not, I'm really not. And I don't like the feeling one bit," she said, her lip quivering.

I knew what she meant. I went forward and enveloped her in my arms, holding her against me. I put my head on top of hers, and I felt her hands gripping my chest, looking for support. I know it's wrong to take advantage of her optimistic heart, but it's the only way I can get her to be normal with me without knowing anything. Even though she's rational, her heart still conquers her mind when she doesn't know what else to do.

"I'm so so sorry," I mouthed on top of her head, apologizing for being such a jerk.

"I know," she whispered, confusing me.

She couldn't have heard me; I didn't say that out loud. The only thing I could hear was the soft swishing of the water on shore, the hoots of owls, the leaves rustling and a few movements in the forest.

"You didn't say anything, C. I know you care, I know you're beating yourself up. And, I know you're trying to use my own heart against me, just so we'd go back to before. Like you never lied," she said softly, making my stomach drop.

"You know me better than you know yourself," I murmured in her wet hair, closing my eyes.

__________________________________________________________________

A/N Vote/Comment/Like

I'm making writing an A/N at the start and end of the chapter a habit now. XD

Well, what did you think?? *shifts footing nervously*

For those who wished he deserved the silent treatment, really, who can resist ignoring your best friend since birth when he's so near? Come on, even I break... -____-

I was soo excited to write that I wrote tonight. XD My mind was set on writing, and I also wrote a chapter for my other book..... Which I am shamelessly promoting yet again, "Only Love is Left." I do believe it's more solid than this one, but I have to admit writing this one is funner. :D

Put a ♥ again if you read this. :P

I get more ideas when I write this one, keeping me from having writer's block... :D

Yeah.....................  Oh... BTW... If I have typos or wrong grammar anywhere, please point it out. XD I was too excited to post this that I couldn't be bothered to edit it thoroughly... Thanks for everything!

Romance and Teen fiction #7 O.O  What's Hot #13

You guys are seriously AWESOME...