(29) Grave of Yellow Roses

Chapter Twenty-Nine

Remember guys, the Watty Awards round 2 is coming up, and it's a potential finalist. So, if you want to see this story in round two, remember to vote! :D

Thank you! I love you guys! <3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I gulped, thinking about my words before I said them. I had to be careful with Andrea. Anything could tick her off. “Andrea,” I said. “It's, um... it's nice to see you again.” I laughed nervously, wanting to scream when I realized that the thing that was on the back of my head was a gun.

Andrea pressed it harder into my skull. “Are you responsible for this? Huh? Did you start that thing?”

“What are you talking about?” I asked.

The pressure was released and I slowly turned around while Andrea spoke. “This,” she said, pointing towards the window. “That blackness. It's unstoppable.”

I nodded, wanting to appease her as she was still pointing the gun towards me. A plan began to form in my head as I spoke the next words, “You do know this is the last place still standing?”

Just like I wanted her to, Andrea shifted her weight uncomfortably. “Really?”

“Yes,” I replied, nodding slowly. Yes, the plan was forming in my head quite nicely.

“So that means only one of us can survive,” Andrea said with a hard face. She put her finger on the trigger. “And that was my plan from the beginning.”

I laughed boisterously, causing her to jump in surprise. “You really think you're going to win, don't you?” I grinned at her while she shook. “What you don't know is that I found it.”

“What did you find?” she asked, attempting to regain her composure. She couldn't, I was clearly fazing her.

“A way out. I found it. I'm free. No matter what happens, I'm free,” I said, grinning at her while she narrowed her eyes at me.

I shot a look out through the window. There was about five-hundred yards left until Brent's house was consumed. That left me about five minutes. Maybe ten, I didn't know. The situation could go either way.

I looked back at Andrea and I found her looking out the window as well. Her eyes shot back to mine and they met, both narrowing. “You're funny,” she said. “Because, if you did find a way out, I would go with you. I would say the rest of us would too, but I killed them. Every single one of them,” Andrea said harshly, causing me to flinch at every syllable.

“Why did you do that?” I asked, eyes wide.

“I hated them. Every single one of them. All they ever did was take advantage of me. I sat there, quiet, while they laughed at me. I was the only one that brought myself here. I committed suicide, Hailee. And they made fun of me for that,” she told me, her eyes starting to shine with the water that was welling up in them.