33 - Slinkie...?

Chapter 33.

Storming from the Economics room, I march down the hallway, clutching my bag tightly in my hands. Of all the holy hells I get put through, THIS is by FAR the WORST!!  I either have an extremely pissed off expression or I am just emanating an enraged aura, because people give me a wide berth in the hallway.

 Good. Anyone gets within two feet of me and I'm biting their head off.

Probably quite literally.

As I tromp to my locker like an enraged rhino, Scarlett walks up beside me, her ponytail swinging.

We walk in silence for a good section of lockers until she says, "So Economics didn't treat you well?"

Understatement of my life right there. "No. Not. At. All."

She nods. "Me and Calculus have never gotten along, and I'm quite sure that our relationship would have ended after the first class if I didn't need it. I had a test today and I'm quite sure it murdered my ass."

I snurf out a slightly amused chuckle, but I'm still boiling with rage. After another minute of my angry walking, Scarlett asks, "Why are you walking like you're trying to kill the floor? Was it that bad?"

We've reached my locker and I angrily twist the combination and throw it open, nearly smoking the guy next to me. But I don't exactly give a shit. He did not have to be within a foot of Sebastian MacCrain for half a class period! Feeling rage and fire building in my throat, I grumble almost incomprehensibly, "We'rehavingagroupprojectandstupidfuckingidiotSebastianismypartner."

Apparently it was incomprehensible, because Scarlett says, "What?"

With an angry sigh, I mutter again, "We'rehavingagroupprojectandstupidfuckingidiotSebastianismypartner."

"Run that by me one more time?"

 "We're having a GROUP project and STUPID fucking SEBASTIAN is my PARTNER." I snapped. I couldn't help it. It was bound to happen. I wipe a hand over my face and look at Scarlett, feeling guilty. I shouldn't have yelled at her, she didn't need-

"Holy SHIT!" She gasps, grey-green eyes popping open wide. "Why didn't you tell me sooner?!" And soon she's bombarding me with questions and I'm relaying the entire awful experience to her. She was absolutely appalled at how the whole thing played out, from my slip being dropped to both of Sebastian's other potential partners being only potential.

 Her grey-green eyes were wide when she said quietly. "Its fate."

There was a nice little twist in my gut after she said that, and I swear that I could feel my face pale. Obviously she didn't notice how I reacted to her statement because she laughed and said what a ridiculous coincidence it was.

But that knot in my stomach didn't really loosen. As we walked down the hall, I wondered whether fate was pulling me toward Sebastian. Or, well, more like throwing me at him since I keep running away. It seemed almost...uncanny how no matter what I did or what direction I went we always managed to cross paths. Somehow we get chucked back at each other, and I keep wishing the Universe would fucking figure it out and chuck me the other way. Or just move Sebastian to Asia. Either one could work.

God damn fucking Universe, I think sourly, get your fucking shit together!

"So did you guys figure anything out for your project?" Scarlett asks.

I snort. "Do you think Democrats and Republicans could figure out a group project?"

"...No? What does that-"