Prologue

I gasped, struggling against the force of his grip. He shoved me to the ground and kicked me hard in the stomach. I groaned in pain, pinching my eyes closed after I saw him grin with pleasure. I couldn't take it anymore. I whined and whimpered, not from fear or pain, but because I had failed. I had failed the basics of being an assassin. I had been caught.

The man lifted me off the ground and slung me over his shoulder. I attempted to bite him, but his fist covered my mouth.

"Don't try anything stupid, girl," he hissed under his breath. I smirked, trying to hide my frustration.

"You think words are enough to stop me from getting my way?" I laughed, cheering myself up a bit. I know it was a lame comeback, but it was enough for him to tense up.

"What's your name?" I ask.

"That's no business of yours, girl," he muttered.

"Well, I have a name, and I would appreciate it if you used it, boy." I smiled at myself.

"We'll see what the king himself has to say about that."

I stopped at that. This man had contact with the king? I was officially screwed now. I was the one who murdered his know-it-all sister that my master had a grudge against, after all. I'd be lucky to live to the end of the day.

"You obviously have a problem with the king, do you, Rayne?" The man was smiling, I could hear it in his voice.

"Doesn't everyone in the Ice Nation?" I muttered.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Don't pretend you don't know. He made it loud and clear to the other nations that killing off the Ice Ambassadors was a warning to what could happen if anyone else questioned his decisions," I paused. "my Nation looks weak now."

The man put me on the ground, tying ropes around my wrists. He pulled it tight enough to burn, and smirked when he saw me flinch. I stared at his cold, blue eyes. They seemed so familiar....

"Well I guess you changed that all didn't you, girl?" He whispered into my ear.