Chapter 3- Lavender Eyes.

{Roxandra Lexington}

The Nemean Lion was only something I've read about in Greek language class. Something that only Hercules himself had slain.

Only Hercules.

That was only a tad bit discouraging.

...Okay, extremely discouraging.

All three of us had been staring with jaws dropped at the horribly beautiful creature in front of us, as if we were paralyzed. None of us made any attempts at movement. The only qualified person to take on the creature was Derek. He had been coming to Camp Half- Blood since he was 11, spending six years there and was constantly training there.

So here we were, sitting front of a vicious monster, baring it's teeth at me, Derek, and Alex. I looked to Derek, he had a fierce look in his eyes, his grey eyes alight. He was gripping his sword so tightly, that the veins on his arms were protruding from his skin. His beautiful jaw was clenched, his dark hair disheveled. He was the love of my life, I knew that for sure.

I turned my head to see Andi, her athletic figure was trembling and the sword in her hand was shaking and on the verge of falling to the ground. She held her elbow above her head, and her sword was drawn facing the lion. She was so scared, I could see it in her eyes. She was my best friend, the one who'd been through everything with me.

I had to fight for these two, and if anything happened to them on my account, I wouldn't be able to live with it.

I gripped my sword tightly in my hand and screamed, "For Narnia!" and charged the beast.

Don't ask why I said Narnia. To this day, I don't even know.

Targeting it's nose, I slashed at it. Attacking it's hide would be pointless- it was made of titanium, practically invincible.

The blade cut a deep gash onto the pad of it's nose. Golden blood oozed out of the abyss.

The lion roared tremendously, the vibrations making the room shake. It clawed viciously after me as I slashed at it's weakest points. I stepped a little too close to the beast, and it trapped me underneath it's large body. I thrashed violently and attempted to move my arms but it's paws held them to the ground. The Nemean let out a loud roar and moved to down to bite my head.

There was a large 'thud' before I looked up and realized my eyes were squeezed shut.

Derek was grinning at me with a smile so bright, and so beautiful, the sight made me feel like my insides might combust. With his sword in hand, he had pushed the lion off of me, hence the lion sprawled out on the floor at the moment. He suggested his hand and I took it gratefully.

I looked around for Alex, and she was still okay, but she was standing there as if frozen in fear. I wouldn't blame her, since she's been through so much today. First the nasty dracanae, and now the Nemean Lion. It was almost as bad as Percy Jackson's first encounters with a monster- the Minotaur (Derek told me all about Percy Jackson and his girlfriend, also Derek's half-sister, Annabeth Chase).

The lion quickly recovered and was now standing tall. It let out a mighty roar once again, and stretched backwards, pawing into the ground, as a sign of gaining momentum. He was about to charge, I was sure of it. Despite the observation I made, I was still glued to the ground. I felt like my ability to move was gone, and I was stuck. Derek must've felt that way too, because he glanced at me with widened eyes.

All too soon, the lion charged at us, and tackled us to the ground. "Ugh!" I let out a strangle cry. The force of the impact was overwhelming, black spots clouding my vision, threatening to send me into deep sleep. I could still feel my body moving around and kicking at the monster, but it didn't react. "Alex, please help! Where are you?!" I pulled out another cry. "Please Alex. Please where are you?" The desperation was clearly evident in the tone of my voice. Why wasn't she answering? Derek and I were trapped underneath this beast that must've weighed at least a ton, and she didn't react in the slightest.