Chapter 2

Cameron’s POV

I watched her leave the classroom, it was not a good idea to let her walk home alone.  I have this bad feeling something was going to happen, so I called Cooper, I think he said he was leaving about this time.

“Hey, man” I said when he answered the phone.

“What’s up?” he asked.

“Ava just left my class and she’s walking home alone.  Do you think you could maybe follow her in your car? I have this bad feeling, but I still have loads of work to do.” I quickly explained.

“Of course, dude. I was leaving right now, actually.” He said, then hung up.  I leaned back in my chair and ran a hand over my face. Please let her be okay I sent up a silent prayer.

Cooper’s POV

I’ll admit, when Cameron called me to ask me to follow Ava, I thought he was crazy, but when I saw some creep grab her arm, and the scared look on her face, illuminated by the street light, I called him.

“I found her, she’s in trouble.  I’m gonna take her to your house.” I said quickly and hung up on Cameron, I could still hear him yelling.  When I heard her scream, I sprinted over there, it’s a good thing I still work out, I can still sprint.

“Now why’d you scream? There’s no one around to hear you.” I heard him say as he pinned her down and she struggled fruitlessly.

“You wanna bet?” I asked, my voice laced with anger and venom.  The guy looked at me shocked, and I immediately grabbed him by the shirt and punched him hard in the face, knocking him out.

“M-Mr. Green?” she asked confused.

“Are you ok, Ava?” I asked softly, kneeling down next to her.  She nodded her head, then changed her mind and shook her head, tears starting to fall down her face. “Shhh, you’re safe now.  Did he hurt you?”

“M-my a-ankle. I t-twisted I-it.” She choked out, trying not to cry.  I looked at it and saw that it was swelling.

“It looks like a sprain.  I’m going to carry you to my car and take you to my friend’s house, ok?”

She nodded her head, her shoulders still shaking from crying. I rubbed her back soothingly, and then picked her up.  She wrapped her arms around my neck and I brought her to the car. I got in the drivers seat and called Cameron. “I got her” I said when he picked up.

“Is she ok? What happened?” he asked worriedly.

“She’s as good as can be expected.  She’s pretty shaken and it looks like she sprained her ankle.

“Bring her over.” He said as I pulled into his driveway.

“Already here.” I hung up and he came out and walked over to her side.

Ava’s POV

“Ava?” Mr. Cooper asked as he opened my door. “Are you okay?” he asked, his voice full of concern. I nodded, not trusting my voice. “Can you walk?”

“I don’t know.” I answered, my voice cracking.

“I want you to try.” He told me. I got out of the car and tried to put weight on my ankle but I yelped in pain, picking up my ankle quickly and losing my balance, pitching forward.  Two pairs of arms caught me before I could face-plant into the driveway.  I looked up at them gratefully, then I wrapped one arm around each of them and they helped me limp into Mr. Ross’ house.

“I’m going to put her on the couch, Cooper.  Can you get the first aid kit from the bathroom.  Oh my god, you’re bleeding!” He said.  I looked at the arm he was holding.