Chapter Ten.

Chapter Ten.

I could feel Logan's breath lightly tickling the back of my neck as he stood behind me while I sat on the hospital bed with my legs swung over the side. My head was tilted back with my mouth open and Doctor Luke stood in front of me shining the small flashlight into my mouth.

It had been a few days since I had first woken up in the hospital and learned about my life. I was still coming to terms with the fact that I was some sort of hybrid, a cross between a human and a werewolf. The fact that I was tainted with the blood of my dad made it all possible for me to learn about the werewolf world and how I was now a part of it. I didn't like that I wasn't who I had thought I was for so many years but I was slowly coming to terms with it.

The concept of mates was still confusing and I had yet to understand the bond or how it was possible. I hadn't given Logan an answer and I knew that he hadn't been expecting one as after he had confessed his feelings he smiled and let go of my hand as if it hadn't ever happened. I had found myself thinking about mates a lot and although I could see why mates were important, especially for werewolves, I just felt I wasn't meant to have my own.

Logan had been patient with me and I knew that he was trying. I would sometimes see his wolf surface behind his eyes when I would flinch away from him or pull my hand back when he tried to hold it. I couldn't get past the fear that would consume me whenever Logan went to touch me, it brought back too many memories and instead of seeing Logan I would see my dad stalking towards me.

I felt bad for Logan. He had been waiting so long for his mate, his other half, and I knew that when he had pictured her while growing up, that she wasn't me. I came with a past that was no doubt chasing after me and I didn't want Logan or anyone else to be brought into the mess that was my life.

I still had my heart and mind set on leaving. I wanted to explore the world that had been hidden from me for years and I knew that if I stayed with Logan and his pack that I wouldn't be able to leave. I would once again be trapped and controlled. I didn't want that for myself and not for my mum who deserved a lot more.

My mum had spent every day with me in the hospital; she would sit at my side and tell me about her day and what had happened. She had met a group of people within the pack and I could tell by the smile on her face when she spoke about them that she had finally made a group of friends that she could trust. I was pleased that she was slowly getting over her trust issues and socialising as I hadn't seen her happy in a long time.

Logan and my mum got on well, as did my mum, Alpha Paul and Gemma who had also found time to visit me at least once a day. I was unsure how to act around them and it didn't help that I was still unable to form a complete sentence. Alpha Paul and Gemma would stand at the foot of my bed and ask me how I was feeling before making small talk with both my mum and me. I had been introduced to Oliver and Jason who were both friendly despite their intimidating forms. I surprised myself when I had found myself warming up to the non-identical twins and I enjoyed being around them, even while they insulted one another as they were prone to do.

"The swelling has almost gone and the bruises have disappeared completely. If you keep exercising your throat ten times a day your voice will be back in no time," Doctor Luke said with a smile on his face as he stepped away from me.

Doctor Luke spent the majority of his time in the hospital with me and those that were visiting me. I had learned that he was one of the many doctors in the pack though treated many members by himself. I had been given exercises to get my throat used to talking and the strain that it would cause. I was able to say a few words before I would be in pain. It was an improvement from a few days ago.