Chapter Twenty Eight

© Copyright 2011
All work is property of Leah Crichton, any duplication or reproduction of all or part of the work without explicit permission by the author is illegal.

Ambush: (am-buh-sh)

an act or instance of attacking unexpectedly from a concealed position

My sleep didn't last long before I was awakened by a breath on my face. I thought perhaps Orion had decided to make the most of my last night alive and, without opening my eyes, I smiled. “What are you doing?”

A hauntingly familiar voice responded. “Now now love, is that really the way you want to greet somebody?”

My eyes flew open faster than the smile on my face evaporated. The top half of my body shot up like I was ejecting from an aircraft, but his icy hand shoved me back down. “Damien.”

He grabbed my face roughly and placed his body directly on top of mine, his movements fast and rigid. “The one and only, love. I must say you are stunning when you sleep, especially when you’re mumbling sweet nothings about your Romeo.”

“Where’s Orion?” I choked. “What did you do to him?”

“I did nothing. He left you, willingly.”

“He wouldn’t leave me. Where is he?”

“I told you. He left.” Even in the darkness I could see the exaggerated look of dismay on his face. “Went to help somebody, I think.”

“Who?”

“Oh, you know, some blonde bimbo. Carrie, Cassie, no, wait, Chloe. Yes, love, that’s her name, Chloe.”

“Chloe? Why would he help Chloe?” I didn’t try to struggle underneath him. It wouldn’t do any good, and I didn’t want to set him off.

He ran his fingernail along my face. I cringed. “In case you haven’t noticed, Orion has a whole damsel in distress issue. Really, he should have dealt with it, prioritized. He made this way too easy for me. Not so fun when it’s easy.” He sounded depraved.

You did this?”

He rested his skin against mine, cheek-to-cheek so his mouth was beside my ear. “Of course I did this, love. It was the only way to make the game fun.”

“My life isn’t a game.” 

“Maybe so, but his is and, unfortunately, you are like a little pawn in that game.” He pulled back and looked at me. “Check. Mate.”

“Why Chloe?” 

“Because, love, she was easily manipulated. Poor girl wanted nothing more than Orion to take her too; you know, being sorry for her sins and all that, but he didn’t. He. Chose. You.” 

“He wouldn’t leave me.”

Damien’s face took on a distant look. His voice changed. He sounded exactly like Chloe. “Orion,” he sobbed in her voice. “Orion, you have to help me! Please, he’s coming.” His voice, as hers, was laced with pathetic desperation. “Please help me, I’m scared. I’m so scared. Please, you have to help me!” Then, as quick as the flick of a light switch, his voice turned back to his own. “Pathetic.”

“You’re sick,” I mumbled. Hearing Chloe’s plea through Damien was enough to make me want to save her. Of course Orion had gone to her.

“You like it,” he retorted. “You little bitch. The two of you think you can fool me, but you can’t. I’m the best there ever was.”