Eight Letters. Three Words - Ch. 28

Chapter Twenty Eight

After the Storm

I wasn’t surprised the world hadn’t come to an end at the mention of those words, or that the human race hadn’t ceased to exist. I rested my back on the cushions of Dylan’s living room, and took a deep breath.

“I think I ought to get going home.”

We had cleared the table, and together washed the plates, yet there was a delicate atmosphere hanging around us. The feelings after a storm, you’re scared and uneasy to make any sudden or abrupt action.

He laughed, as if I’d cracked the world’s best joke. “Chloe, you’re not going anywhere.”

Perplexed I stared at him, “Sorry?”

He moved towards me, slowly, carefully, like I’d said, scared the smallest of things would break the energy between us. “You are staying here.

For once, I didn’t mind him ordering me around, “What if I get bored?”

He chuckled, and came into the living room, “Bored? With me? You’re nuts.”

Which I was, but that was another subject. I smiled, “What will it be today? The drive in cinema? The Ice Cream place?”

“We’re staying here.”

Surprised I asked, “Really?”

“Have you seen your clothes? I’d never let you go out looking like that.” His hands signaled to the black short, knee-long socks and oversized t-shirt I was wearing. My eyes still held the shadows of last night’s makeup, and my hair had that ‘just-woken-up’ appearance.

I flipped him off, “Ass.” I muttered.

To my surprise he grabbed my waist and pulled me down with him towards the sofa, “You’re perfect,” he whispered in my ear.

I laughed, hoping the sound didn'tt sound like a giggle. “I’m not sure…”

His nose traveled the length of my jaw, carefully like the fluttering of wings, “I am sure.”

We laid like that for a while, in a comfortable peace. The drumming of his heart beneath my ear, and his hand resting on my back, the other playing with the strands of my hair absentmindedly. It was a moment that lasted too little, soon it was over, and I would have given anything to have it photographed, and saved.

“Are you thinking?” I whispered lightly, to not ruin the silence.

He nodded, careful to not jostle my head.

“About?”

“What to do together,” he answered.

He thought, and I remained silent. Wondering why it was we always had to do something and not nothing.

“A fort!” he exclaimed.

“A fort?”

He turned, and smiled, “Yes, a fort!”

“Why?”

“Why not?”

He had a point.

                                                                          *

“This does not look like a fort,” I said disappointed.

Dylan laughed, “You’re supposed to look at it from inside, that way it won’t matter if it looks like a fort or not.”