The Second Rift

The Sewer whipped back around and saw a man. His hair was dark like shadows. Eyes smoldering coals of curiosity. He was far taller than the Sewer and his skin was pale yet had a healthy glow to it. "Hello." he grinned. The Sewer spared him a fleeting gaze before continuing on. The Sewer didn't have time for it. "Heey! Don't ignore me." he whined. The Sewer rolled it's eyes and didn't even bother to stop. "So why are you closing my rifts?" he asked. That made the Sewer stop straight in it's tracks. "What's your name?" it squeaked.

"I'm Fallon, Fallon Greaves. You?"

"I'm called the Sewer."

"Nice name. So why are you closing my rifts?"

  The sewer looked at him. At first glance Fallon didn't look at all imposing or threatening. "I was created for the purpose of closing the rifts. Now where is the other rift in this dimension?" the Sewer asked, it's voice much more pleasing to the ears. Fallon shrugged, "I dunno. I don't really feel like telling you when I'm so busy. I have to find something. So good bye." he sighed. The Sewer wanted to hit this narcist prat. A beeping noise sounded and Fallon then made a frustrated noise, "Seems I have other business to attend to. A little tip, check in town. Someone important like me may have thought to put he rift there." he said and was gone.

  The Sewer sat down on the side of the road. It had spent all day trying to find the stupid rift. "Problems?" Fallon asked right in the Sewer's ear. Repressing the urge to jump the Sewer turned around with a neutral expression. "Where is the portal? I will only ask nicely for so long." It said. Fallon grinned and put his arm around the Sewer. "Listen Doll, I knew that you'd never find it. But I'm not telling you. I went through a lot of trouble to open these rifts up and I'm not going to let you close them. I only have so many connections willing to open rifts." he replied. The Sewer growled, "Tell me." It hissed. Fallon grinned and then suddenly disappeared.

  The Sewer got up and began to search again. The light moon hung high in the sky and cast an eerie glow. Finally the Sewer was ready to call it a night. 'This way...' a wispy voice said. The Sewer looked around and saw that there was nothing. Turning back around the Sewer was about to walk off, "Sewer, this way. Now." The same voice spat. The Sewer turned around and came right to a door. It was old and splintered. Ghosts of past experiences showed. The feel of the house was very forlorn and aloof. The smell of death was intoxicating.

  Stepping lightly inside, the Sewer saw that there were bloody footprints leading up the stairs. The Sewer ignored the little voice in it's head and began the climb to the stairs, each and every step creaked and groaned from lack of use and wear and tear. Making it up to the top of the stairs the Sewer looked into the dingy room. It smelled of mildew and stale mothballs. The floor was partly caved in at one point. There was a doorway joining that room with another, and the familiar golden light spilled through. The Sewer quickly hurried in there.

  Two things greeted the Sewer. One was the rift. It had an intense glow spilling through it and showed a fall time forest. The other sight was Fallon bleeding heavily on the floor and a woman standing over him. Her skin was pale as a corpse and death clung to her like a cloak. Her hair was darker than night and swayed like demonic shadows. Her dark eyes had red streaked through it making it look like rivers of blood. Spires curled from her head and she wore a malignant smile. "Hello there Sewer."

  There was a shocked silence that followed. That voice. That was the voice that had lead the Sewer here. She walked forward, "I've waited so long to see you in person. I'm Cera by the way." she sighed. The Sewer began to back up, this was wrong. The Sewer had to get out of here, or else Cera was going to kill the Sewer. "Ah, ah, ah. No running! I was waiting to see you. So sit down!" Cera appeared by the door and all but spat the last words. The Sewer felt some force pressing down on it's shoulders. Falling to the floor next to Fallon, the Sewer watched Cera.

  "Now this idiot here tried to open another rift. However I told him that I'm not at his beck and call. Now I will tell you this if you don't quit sealing my rifts I'll have to kill you." she said sweetly. "I can't do that. I was created for this reason." the Sewer said. Cera frowned, "Fine then. Join him in the afterlife." she hissed. Whipping out a serrated whip, Cera snapped it at the Sewer. The Sewer dodged deftly and began to run for the rift. Cera countered with another crack of the whip that slashed the Sewer's arm.

  The Sewer fell and then turned to look at Cera. She was poised to stab the Sewer's eyes out. However a buzzing sound started and Cera snorted. "You got out of it this time. However I will kill you." she hissed. In a couple of seconds, she was gone. The Sewer stiffly stood up and was going to enter the portal. "W-wait... You need... Me. I know where all of the... Rifts are... You need me to guide you..." Fallon said weakly. The Sewer seemed deaf to his cries. "...Please..."

  Something stirred in the Sewer. Hissing, the Sewer walked toward Fallon, "Fine. But when you're better. You will take me to every rift." It said. Fallon weakly nodded.

   Days later Fallon was finally fit to move. The Sewer stepped through the rift to the fall time forest. The Sewer felt itself suddenly start to get taller and short brown hair sprouted. The Sewer became taller and felt more muscled. When the Sewer turned to Fallon he looked shocked. Without waiting for an answer, the Sewer then took out the needle and the thread.

And so the second stitch was spent.