The Wilderness

Every day’s the same. Wake up, find food, walk around pointlessly, then go to bed. We were told that we’d be rescued within a week or so. It’s been three years.

It’s all that stupid Olivia’s fault. She’s an okay girl, I guess. Except when she’s talking about her ‘worst enemy’. She believes the world’s being taken over by giant squids or something equally stupid. Yeah… she’s not really the best person to be stuck out here with. I can’t exactly choose, though.

There were others before. I think there used to be about ten of us. They’ve all lost their lives to this damned forest. I remember my brother, Adam, drowned in the lake. He was looking for clams. But the lake froze over, and by the time the sun rose, he had gone. His corpse’s still down there. Olivia thinks the squids attacked him. She lost her sanity long ago.

The only memory I have of home is this weird amulet thing my mum gave me. It’s got some sort of purple gemstone, probably amethyst, embedded in a gold ring. Of course, it’s not real gold, but it still looks really pretty. When the sun shines on it, it almost looks like it’s glowing.

Sometimes I like to lie outside, even though there’s snow everywhere, and wonder what I’d be doing if I was back in Arizona. I’d probably be sitting in a tiny classroom, being bored to death by how to calculate quadratic whatever. That’s one thing I don’t miss. Those teachers were the ones that had gotten us into this mess in the first place. Sure, we had broken off from the group to get a closer look at the lake, which happened to be bordered off because it’s too dangerous, but they could at least try to be responsible.

I suppose they did send a helicopter. But Olivia locked us all in the small shack we had found, and when we managed to pick the lock, the helicopter had disappeared. Since there’s no mobile signal in the Canadian forest, and there’s only so much screaming for help you can do before you realise it’s a waste of energy, we’ve been trapped here ever since. Thanks a bunch, idiot.

Well, we’ve gotten used to it now. I just wish that something would happen – anything – to get rid of this monotonous routine we’ve fallen into. Yeah, right. As if.

This is the first page of a short story in the first person that I had to write for an English assignment. So I decided to incorporate two awesome Wattpadders into it, and I do believe I wrote the best story in my class! Go check out OliviaLovesSnow and TimeIsTicking because they're awesome. Do y'all want me to write more? Let me know!