The Netizen - theatrical play nominated in Playwriting Competiton

The Netizen

 Play in one act 

The FUTURE is NOW. What are you going to do with your Facebook profile when you perish. What will happen with your blogs? Is there a part of your personality that will outlive you? 

Actors: 

Alex 

Victor 

Mira 

Victor’s Mother 

Nurse 

1. 

Luxurious hospital room. Bed, desk with lamp, chair. Victor lying on the bed. Mira walks in the room .Victor began coughing. Mira brings him water. 

VICTOR: Turn the lights off. 

MIRA: Why? 

VICTOR: In the dark is easier to die. You are not ashamed. 

Mira: Oh, crap… 

VICTOR: Put the lights off!

MIRA: I'm afraid. No. 

VICTOR: I have to be scared, not you, right? 

(Mira stays silent) 

VICTOR: I am really scared, I am scared because people forget very soon. 

MIRA: Do not start again. 

Victor: I can say now what I want ... I can now speak irresponsibly. Last words lack wisdom,  as ordinary they may sound, they are transcendenty stupid .  

MIRA: You always talk a lot. You deprive others of thinking because they have to listen only you. I do not want to hear how you analyze your dying. Let’s hope that somehow miraculously you will be O.K. tomorrow. 

VICTOR: This is it… this is not a play, you can not tell me whether you want to listen or not ... Mira, I have no time to pick the topics. I'll die and you will forget me. Alive people are necrophagous. You know, first people were not hunters, they were necrophagous... 

MIRA: Where does it come to your mind? 

VICTOR: ... they were not aggressive, not killers, they were eating carrion…only  dead animals. Were talking in their minds. They had thoughts, but not words. Ate what they found. 

MIRA: Sounds disgusting. Not true. 

VICTOR: What is disgusting? You judge words. For women, apparently there are beautiful and ugly words. Just think ... necrophagous is better than a murderer. The first people were not persecutors.... nor prosecuted. 

MIRA: And so what ... I did not lived then. 

VICTOR: How you kill the mammoth with a spear? It can only make him giggle. They can only wait him to fall. In fact, they did not wait… The first people were not waiting for anything. 

MIRA: There is always something to wait for ... 

Victor: They were waiting, but did not know what to wait. They had no ideas ... you know what it is to have no ideas ...  have no fear. 

(Victor goes to the mirror. Looks at himself)

VICTOR: Fear? You fear? (points its reflection) You are afraid. You have ideas. (turns back) They were not like us ... they have been complacent and self-sufficient. We are afraid and we need others constantly. We need others on table, we need them to play, we need them because if we are alone we do not know whether what we think makes sense. My mother, my mother is now calling all her friends and tells them that I am dying. What prominent doctors she consulted, to whom she had spoken, the fortune she had spent on doctors and still, despite everything, she was powerless to stop this loss. She talks with overtones, can you imagine.