Prelude to a wedding

Lothar waited to learn who was approaching. While it was true there were certain things one would expect from an engaged couple the prince knew he didn't need to be touching his bride. The dark haired man simply wanted to and was using visitors as an excuse.

"Keeping close tabs are we?" Prince Garrick commented walking up with Havan and Gideon.

Lothar glared at his brother but didn't remove his arms from the blonde woman. Valeria went to move forward and he tightened his grip. Valeria looked back at him questioningly. When the prince didn't release her she said, "I'd like to get the bur out of Midnight's mane if you don't mind."

The heir frowned but released the woman from his grasp. She leaned in and gently began to remove the entangled hair from it.

"What do you want?" Lothar questioned not hiding his irritation.

His younger brother smirked at his annoyance and glanced at Valeria. "It seems we will be receiving other guests. Father wants to see you and Lady Valeria in his room now."

"Alright." Turning his attention to the blond Benola woman the prince held out his hand to her and said, "Come."

"I must leave you now be good." She gave each of the horses a pat and then accepted the Heir of Zandell's Hand and allowed him to lead her away.

"Ares has succumbed to a woman," Havan said openly teasing the horse. Ares looked at him but the horse looked toward where his master and Midnight's Mistress were.

"No Havan I think Lady Valeria is the only woman Ares will accept." As if agreeing with the Prince's words Ares neighed and the two black horses trotted away.

*

"Father," Lothar said as he and his bride entered King Mateen's presence and bowed while his bride curtsied.

"Come and sit," He said gesturing to a couple of empty chairs. Lothar closed the door and the couple approached and sat down at a table in two of the three remaining chairs across from the king.

"It seems we will be having visitors arriving very soon," He informed them. "Prince Denarium is one of them." Lothar's eyes instantly narrowed at the name. "I think it is best if the two of you are wed tonight."

"Who is Prince Denarium?" Lady Valeria questioned. "I take it this is not a friendly man but..."

"Oh he's very friendly where women are concerned," King Mateen replied. "However he is smart enough not to go after a married woman. Once you two are married in every sense of the word there will be no danger in him being here." Looking at Lothar he said, "Remember what I told you; one way or the other."

"It will be done," Lothar assured his father.

"May I inquire as to what will be expected of me?" The blonde woman asked.

"Caden is disappointed that his daughter will not be marrying Lothar but after meeting you he is no longer demanding the union between Sage and Lothar. He too see's your strength. Sage may be upset but she may yet marry a prince of Zandell; we don't want to become enemies with our closest ally."

"I understand."

"Be you. They are far more likely to like you than hate you," The Prince of Zandell commented.

"I know you are from an un-violent kingdom by nature but do not be afraid to stand your ground with any of them. No matter their sex or status," The King added. Valeria simply nodded she understood.

"Good. Dina is waiting in your room for you," The king informed Valeria. "Go there now."

"Majesty, Highness." Giving the two a curtsy she left the room.

"Wed and consummated."

Lothar smiled arrogantly at his father. "Not to worry father. I may consummate it several times over before I'm done with her." The king smirked as his only response. "Is the wedding to be before or after dinner?"

"After. A few dances and then I want you to bed her. The sooner the better."

"As you wish. Was there anything else?"

"Denarium was the only visitor that gave me cause for concern and only because you two aren't wed yet. That will be quickly ratified. Anything else is minor." Lothar nodded and giving his father a bow he left the room.

**

Sage paced back and forth within her room. She'd expected after her arrival that she would be the one that wedded Lothar. It had never occurred to her that her father might consent to the heir of Zandell marrying someone other than her. Then again she never would have suspected a proper raised lady to hit her much less lose a sword to her.

'Who is this woman?' she thought to herself. Hearing a knock she turned and faced the door. "Enter." The door opened and she watched as her father entered and closed the door. "What now?" She asked crossing her arms and nearly glaring at King Caden.

"It seems we aren't the only ones that are showing up unannounced," Caden informed his daughter. "Denarium is to arrive tomorrow." He watched as a look of dread crossed her face. "I know you are upset but I expect you to hold your tongue tonight."

"Tonight?" When her father didn't reply she understood. "He's marrying her tonight?!" Caden nodded at his daughter. "Why her?!" The princess pouted.

"From what I've been hearing even he isn't sure why," her father replied. "There are three other Prince's however."

"I want Lothar!" The curly blonde woman snapped.

"Do you truly wish to challenge a woman that recently made a mockery of you so easily?" Her father questioned. Sage had the right to challenge Valeria but he had no doubt his daughter would lose. Valeria had been kind but he'd watched the woman's fencing. Valeria was superior. He didn't understand how or why but the once Benolan woman was the better swordsman.

"No," Sage said looking down at her boots. "How did she beat me?" She asked still disturbed by the loss. The king simply shrugged. "What are my options?" She asked looking back up at her father.

"Any other prince that is still available," He replied. "Though if you wish to one day have the title queen that you need to turn your eyes away from Zandell." Sage looked away. "I know this is hard but...do not make the woman your enemy." Sage turned cool eyes at him. "We do not know what she is capable. From what I have witnessed so far I believe she would be far better to have as an ally." Turning away from his disappointed daughter he left her room closing the door behind him.

Sage walked over to the window and looked out. A frown crossed her beautiful oval face. She'd been planning to be the Queen of Zandell for years. This kingdom would be half hers. She and Lothar would rule the world together. What was she to do now that her dream was gone?

The princess didn't love Lothar. She wasn't heartbroken. The woman had simply planned to rule one of the most powerful kingdoms ever. Lothar was stability and he was exceptional in battle. There was no doubt the kingdom would only get stronger under his rule. Sure they'd spent time together and all but it wasn't love for either of them. It made her suddenly wonder if that was what had changed everything. But how could Lothar be in love with a woman of such a different background? Then again Lady Valeria was not what she'd expected in the least.

'I hate it but he might be right,' she thought to herself fiddling with a strand of her curly hair. 'I need to learn more about this woman. Then I'll decide if she's a stronger ally or enemy.' The decision made she left her room.