Vampire and Slayer-(13 Protectors)

anyone like telephone conversation stories? this is your chapter.

Playlist is available in the external link section

song: the Scientist by Coldplay

That's the outfit Aerie was wearing on Friday. :)

**************

Chapter 13

Protectors

"You want what?" I screamed into the phone appalled.

"I want to take over the western half of your territory. Alsea, however, is free roaming to either," Ben was serious and excited.

"No way! I'm not giving half my territory to you. It's my job to protect it! Not yours," I growled loudly.

"Think about, you could have more of a life that way. And you know you can trust me with your land! I'll protect it like I was a slayer myself! You know that," he pleaded.

I tried to picture Ben dressed as a slayer and started laughing. That made him mad. "What is so funny? I'm serious! Please!"

"I'm sorry," I choked. "I was just picturing you dressed as a slayer. And I know you're serious, I just don't want to give it up! It's all I have left."

His voice was soft again. "You could have something else, you know. I'm still waiting."

"Ben..." he knew I didn't want to talk about this. Why did he insist on bringing It up every time we talked? I wasn't going to talk to him anymore if he didn't stop!

"I'm sorry. I know, I know. You don't want to talk about. I'll try harder to be good. So how about it?" he pressed.

"Fine! But Alsea is mine. I want to protect my mother without your interference. Okay?"

"Alsea we'll trade off on. Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays you can guard and I'll take Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday. I know you want more so you can have the bigger half," there was strained compromise in his voice.

I flipped onto my back and spread myself eagle across my bed. With a deep sigh, I said, "No, I want Sundays. So you take...Fridays. And I know it will make you happier, so we can double on Mondays, deal?"

"Deal!" he sounded more eager than I wanted him to be.

There was a long pause before he asked, "What are you doing?"

"Thinking," I murmured.

"About what?"

"You."

"And what have you come up with?" he was happy to hear that he was the topic of my thoughts.

"I was thinking that you are not getting anywhere and that you need to back off before you get hurt anymore than you already are. I care about you and I don't want to see you in more pain than I am already seeing you in. I know your pain is my fault and I'm really sorry, but I'm trying to fix it. Please, for my sake, and more importantly, yours, give up. I'm not worth it. I obviously am not good enough to be with you. You deserve better. Give up..." my voice trailed off and I realized I was crying. The only times I ever felt like my old self was when I was with or talking to Ben. But because that didn't happen often, most of the time I felt lifeless, achy, and lost. A large portion of me was with Ben and I would never get it back, but I still enjoyed talking to him because I got a glimpse of being one again. And he did deserve more. I used him to feel better. Pathetic.

"Don't say that," Ben was always so positive. It was unbelievable.

"But it's true," I argued.

"NO. No, it's not. It isn't true. You are worth it. And when I get you back, you will understand why I go to such lengths. But please, don't say those things. I don't want to hear it. It isn't true and it hurts me to think that you think so little of yourself. If you want me to have peace at mind, be better to yourself. I love you, Aerie, please," if I was with him, I knew the look that I would see. It would be that pained look that I saw whenever I was hurting or when he was hurting for me.